We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Hi

From Bangkok Post

bangkokpost.com/multimedia/vdo/325764/the-gr…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Seriously is it necessary to parade around in a bikini or budgie smullers - it's not the beach. Why not wear swimmers under shorts and a t-shirt? I'm sure the tourists will ignore the request the same as they do in many other places. Many tourists don't give a stuff about modesty or the Thai culture and the Thais being the people they are won't do anything about it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Unfortunately most foreign tourists either haven't bothered to do some basic research on Thai culture/customs, or even just don't care. Even with clear signs up, and seeing the way locals are dressed (even in the water), they still blindly do what ever they want. Personally, I find lots of those ugly bodies something I'd rather not see!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Sorry that should have said Budgie Smugglers! So agree bb.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

I think unfortunately some just don't care.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Hi

So many time I have heard the comment " I'm on holidays no one knows me I can wear or act whatever I like"

Edited: 13 December 2012, 05:47
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

When I visited Erawan Falls recently, I was sitting next to the main carpark when huge coach after coach pulled in loaded with tourists.

The tourists headed for the toilet block and emerged in the skimpiest bathing costumes that I have ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on. It was not just a few, but nearly all the women were wearing bikinis and few bothered to put a cover-up on over them. When they did, the cover-ups were of the lacy see-through variety, like negliges.

Then bus load after bus load of them traipsed up the track to the falls. Some of them were holding cans of beer which they had brought with them. They had guides with them but none of them apparently told them the rules about no alcohol, or showed them the signs inside the information hut, as my guide had done with our party. Or, perhaps they had just ignored the guide's advice.

I was absolutely disgusted about this total lack of respect for the Thai people, and visitors from other countries as well who may have been offended by the sights. I know that I was and I believe that I'm a pretty open-minded person, but I don't have much patience for disrespectful people.

To top it all off, I saw one person re-board the coach holding up what looked like two unusual looking shells/stones that they had found. The signs say that you are not allowed to remove anything from the park. Common-sense if you ask me!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Ignorance!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

I once saw a bus load of tourists with both children and adults. Once they got of the bus the young one obviously need the toilets. You will never guess what they do ...yes they all just drop their pants and lifted up their skirt at the front entrance of the park to do business while the adults just happily watching !!!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Eeeewww, that's disgusting.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting video on aspect of Thai culture "modesty"

Thai's are very tolerant towards westerners behaviour but defying signs and requests for modesty, is blatantly disrespectful.