We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

Hello everyone

So my partner and i are not sure we can get the exact tickets we want for the train and so long story short it would be best for us to leave booking both our train tickets and flights until we are in Bangkok at the beginning of our holiday.

So my question is, will we be stung on flight prices and will the train tickets still be available given we have a few options for the latter?

I see that Air Asia at el have tickets for about 5000-7000 baht for our CM to Phuket flight for the next few days so will it really be that much more expensive two week sin advance in February?

Thanks in advance.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

In general the earlier you book flights the cheaper, if you are planning to fly from Chiang Mai to Phuket non stop you have Air Asia and Thai Smile with non-stop flights.

For trains I guess you mean from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (?) , fares are fixed and will not change but availability varies.

You can of course wait and chance it, up to you. For flights between Bangkok and Chiang Mai there are currently 5 choices of airline.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

Thank you for your response.

I am aware that they will be cheaper the earlier we do the bookings but i don't want to buy tickets which are no use at all. I guess i could get a more flexible ticket but i guess these would be comparable in cost to those obtain closer to the time anyway.

Thanks, for the train, no not that route but rather Burinam to Ayutthaya, Ayutthata to Phins and then on from there to CM. I am relaxed about our chances with tickets but i wanted to canvas opinion of the experts on here!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

Hi

As Monica says booking earlier is cheaper but it also means you have choices rather than being stuck with whatever is left.

Regarding train availability, I've just read your other post. The state railway don't release all tickets 60 days in advance that's just the longer journey's.

I've just had a play with the website and for Feb 12th for 2 tickets there's availabilty for Bangkok to Chiang Mai but as you quite rightly state the tickets are not available for your required journey. That would lead me to believe that the tickets will become available at a later date. Probably 30 days in advance. This is the same for some southern destinations such as Bangkok to Hua Hin and Chumphon (for Koh Tao).

I hope this helps a little.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

You will only get flexible tickets on a scheduled airline like Thai which are usually most expensive anyway. With budget carriers you pay the price on the day which rises nearer date of departure. Also booking in advance on line with AirAsia is cheaper in terms of the cost of add ins like luggage.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

Thanks to the both of you. I think it is looking like i will check back on the train tickets periodically and then once i have these sorted i will do the flights too. Now to persuade my bad flyer GF that Air Asia are just as safe as Bangkok Airways!

6. Re: Leaving booking flights until in Thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:16