We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Siem Reap

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Siem Reap

Hi,

Flight tickets have been booked. I have never been to Asia before and I couldn't be more excited.

My husband and I plan on visiting Siem Reap for 2-3 days. I read that buses going to Aranyaprathet leave from Morchit ( northern bus station). Is there a schedule available? Do I need to make a reservation? Should I look for a particular bus company? How much does it cost and how long is the whole trip?

Also, does anyone know about places to sleep around Morchit?

Thanks in advance,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

If you have no experience with Asia, read all about the potential "scams" on the way from BK to Siem Reap.

Have you tried the search function?

Busses are going frequently. Just show up, buy a ticket and take the next one leaving.TukTuk to border. Passing border. Take taxi to Siem Reap.

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

Thanks!

Yes, I read about the scams.

I found a website that describes in detail how to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap, however the bus schedule was not available. Do you happen to know the schedule? We are thinking about catching the earliest bus to Aranyaprathet? I read somewhere that is 4am, but would like to confirm if the time is still accurate.

Thanks

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

The Tales of Asia Site says.

talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr-self…

The bus schedule:

From windows 23 and 25: 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 9:30, 14:30, 16:30 (the better buses with less stops).

From windows 30 and 31: 3:30, 4:00, 4:30, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:30, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 11:30, 12:15, 13:00, 13:30, 15:15, 16:30, 17:30 (the older buses with more stops).

Going this way it's probably better to have an e-visa with you.

Have fun

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

Awesome - thanks!!!

Do you know which one will get to Aranyaprathet first - 5am ( less stops) or 3:30am (more stops)?

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

We've taken the 5:00am bus before, we had plenty of time to cross before the crowds arrived.

There's a nice view on the right hand side of the bus.......but.....

the sun will be shining in through the window as well.

Have fun

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

Or just take the 05:55 train from Bangkok's main eady-to-find Hualamphong station, fare just 48 baht ($2). No reservation necessary or possible, just turn up, buy a ticket and hop on.

It's a very pleasant way to travel, clickety-clacking along, face to face with the person you're talking to, plenty of legroom, a cool breeze wafting through the open window, pretty Thai scenery and vendors coming down the train regularly selling fruit, soft drinks and cheap beer (though a bit early for that on the outward journey, perhaps!)

At Aranyaprathet station at 11:35 there will be plenty of tuk tuks waiting, 100 baht or less to the border in 10 minutes, walk across (30 minutes), bus ($9) or private taxi ($25-35) to Siem Reap, 2 to 2.5 hours. An interesting trip.

7. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 00:17