We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family destination????

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Family destination????

Hi!

I'm in the early stages of planning a family holiday to Thailand in September this year. The kids are Aged 15-6. Already I am stuck on an area to stay. Any suggestions or itinerary ideas? I like the idea of a beach stay such as one of the Phuket areas and maybe somewhere a little off the beaten track for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,584 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family destination????

September is still monsoon season in Phuket, so I would advise against it and it's certainly not off the beaten track. The east coast would be a better bet and perhaps a mixture of Samui and Koh Phangan would work for you. South Chaweng is a great area for families as there's plenty going on but it's away from the bars and night clubs of Central Chaweng, has a lovely beach, plenty of accommodation options, restaurants, shopping etc. Then maybe do a couple of days (depending on your time frame) somewhere on Phangan which is more laid back and less developed than Samui. Thong Nai Pan Yai in the north is a stunning beach with bungalow accommodation - also a side trip to Koh Tao is recommended if you can squeeze it in.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family destination????

September Phuket is rainy season, how often it rains, for low long and how much varies, but it is the wettest month of the year. Of perhaps more concern is that beaches can be red-flagged so no sea swimming.

Koh Samui is ideal at that time for a holiday island with plenty of on the beach places to stay ideal for a family, plus as Cassnu suggests somewhere relaxing and nice on Koh Phangan or even Koh Samui if you want great snorkeling

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,584 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family destination????

"even Koh Samui if you want great snorkeling" - I think Monica4 means or even Koh Tao if you want great snorkeling.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family destination????

I'd would suggest Samui > Mo Koh Ang Tong or Koh Tao aswell.

If you don't mind the rain at Andaman coast stay at Kata or Kata Noi in Phuket.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family destination????

:) LOL Yes Koh Tao is what I meant,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family destination????

I'm with the others September isn't the best month for Phuket stick with Samui combined with a couple of days in Koh Tao for snorkelling.

7. Re: Family destination????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:18