We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prasat Area

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Topic
Prasat Area

Need some advice from those familiar with this area. We are doing a 10 day drive starting from Udon Thani & have 3 nights booked at Ryans Resort in the Prasat area.

What are the absolute must see's around this area, on my list I have Prasat Hin Khao Phanom Rung, Wat Burapharam, Phanom Sawai Forest Park and the Chong Chom Markets. We might also visit Wat Lan Kuat but thats up in the air at the moment.

Is this enough for 3 days or would you add something else in or not bother with something we have added?

Thanks in advance

Cathy

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prasat Area

There are two Prasats in that area close together. One in Surin and one in Buriram so be careful when following signs etc. Ryans is in Prasert, Surin.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prasat Area

Prasat Meuang Tam is only 8km from Phanom Rung and worth a look.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prasat Area

For a tourist, 3 days in Prasat is plenty. Panomh Rung and the other nearby historical sight (name escapes me at the moment) wil take an hour or so by car each way, plus a couple of hours to walk through. Chong Chom is not worth the effort in my opinion, it is about an hour in the other direction, and nothing special in my opinion. There may be some things in the city of Surin that are worthwhile.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prasat Area

I have never visited Ryan's Resort, but they have a good reputation in the area. If you have not contacted them, it might be worth your effort to shoot them an email asking about what is worthwhile for a tourist in the area.

Tourism has been gaining steadily in the area. That means it has gone from almost none to a little bit. The tourist sights are no fairly well marked from Highway 24 though, and there are a couple of businesses in Prasat and Prakhon Chai that are convenient for tourists, meaning English menus, some information in English, and an English speaking employee.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prasat Area

Thanks guys, I just watched a video on the Chong Chom Markets & might give that one a miss:) We have already booked into Ryans Resort so will ask them when we arrive for any must see places etc.

Cathy

6. Re: Prasat Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:16