We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand in a weeks time - help!

My friend and I are hoping to put together a quick last minute holiday to Thailand. Because of work commitments we have 10 days there from feb 4-14th.

It looks like flights are cheapest to Bangkok but I notice in other forums people are suggesting I visit Bangkok Chang Mai and a beach. Is this possible in such a short amount of time or should we stay put in and around Bangkok? I'd like to visit a beach or two, where is near that you suggest?

Id also like to go to a market but other than that we want to sightsee and get a real taste of Thailand.

We are also trying to do this cheaply, is this possible?

If anyone can help us, any advice would be appreciated!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Hi Louise,

I think that with only 10 days, I'd do 5 days in Chiang Mai and 5 days in Bangkok.

In Chiang Mai you would get cultural experiences, interaction with elephants, nice rural scenery, great markets (especially if you are there for the Sunday Walking Market), and much more. Better still, it is only an hour's flight away from Bangkok.

Of course in Bangkok, there is so much to see and do at all the popular tourist attractions (see the headings at the top of this page under 'Things to Do', and all the great shopping at markets and malls.

I'd save the beach location for next time as I think that to try and fit in 3 places will have you spending a lot of time relocating and settling into accommodation, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, it is certainly possible to do this if you have to watch your pennies, however it would help if you could let us know what your budget is so that people can make recommendations. What is 'cheap' to one person may seem expensive to another. There are quite a lot of posts on here giving information to people who travel to Thailand with a limited budget.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Kind regards,

Sue

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

I think it depends on what you are looking for in your holiday. If you really want some relaxing then I think adding a beach destination is a good idea.

I have done a 3 centre Bangkok/Chang Mai/Koh Samui trip however I had 3 weeks. I think doing 3 in 10 days would be too much packing and travelling to really enjoy but that is me. Our last trip we did 3 places in 14 days and we wouldn't do that again.

If you would like a beach trip, you could go to Hua Hin. The beach isn't the best in Thailand from what I have heard but it is very Thai and seems to have a great mix of culture, markets and resorts. It is my next Thai destination I think :) the big plus of it is that you can travel there by car (lots of services or taxi) in around 3 hours so no extra flights etc. ko Samet is also very reachable from Bangkok in about a similar time. Maybe have a look at the individual forums for these places for better information and ask questions to see if those destinations are for you.

I hope that helps. How exciting for you, no huge holiday countdown it will be here before you know it :)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Alternatively you could do Bangkok + Hua Hin, that way you have Bangkok but then can also have beach time ( not the greatest, bad no that bad ) + there you have daily night markets, street stalls, local shops, over the water dining, elephants either to ride Or you can view them in the wild ( safari style ) and visit temples and sights of historic and cultural interest. 2 national parks, 2 floating markets.

It is a very Thai resort area and although busy gives you 'a little of everything'

Hua Hin is 180 km / 120 miles south of Bangkok on the coast by bus 3.5 hrs, train 3 to 4 hrs or taxi/limo 2.5 to 3 hrs, it offers a lot of things in 1 place.

Quick intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6WdZzPNGs

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Thanks so much both of you for your help.

I think we will just do 2 then but not sure which 2 yet!

In terms of budget, we are wanting to do this as cheaply as possible!

I will have a read of the other forums :)

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Thanks so much for your help!

I think we will just do 2 though not sure which 2 yet...

In terms of budget we want to do this as cheaply as possible, I'll have a read around in other forums and report back if I have any more questions!

Thanks again!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Koh Samet I agree is an island option, but it is for relaxing mainly as very quiet.

A bus from Bangkok to Hua Hin would costs you about $6.50, good express air-con train fast train with onboard service just under $10 !

Air-con accommodation for 2 with breakfast from around $ 30 a night but of course you can pay lots more depending what you are looking for.

We don't know where you are flying from to get to Thailand (?) but the big thing is you finding flights / airfares at a reasonable amount at this late time, that is something I hope you are working on because it is still high season + Chinese New Year is comming up on Feb 10th and a lot of flights around Asia will be very busy indeed.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 10:46
Italy
Level Contributor
39,504 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

With your time frame the logical combination is Bangkok and Hua Hin, as it's easy to get to without having to take a flight.

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

I would also vote for splitting your time between Bangkok and Hua Hin. They are so different. Last time we had a vacation in Hua Hin our flight was to Bangkok. Bus connection to Hua Hin worked well. Enjoy!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

Yes at the end of the trip you can airport bus or taxi straight to Bangkok Airport

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand in a weeks time - help!

i would say 10 days, it's plenty of time :)

You can stay 2 nights in Bangkok / 2 nights in Chiangmai and 5 nights on the beaches.

Here's what the itinerary should look like;

Day 1 : Arrival BKK - Transfer to hotel to leave all belongings - Visit Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha (MUST SEE) - Gold Mountain (Wat Saket) - Khaosarn Road - Hotel

Day 2 : Depart BKK to Chiangmai (Suggest to book the flight by Air Asia or Nok Air) - Visit CNX - Pratart Doi Suthep - Dinner Khan Toak - Hotel

Day 3 : Visit Doi Intanon - Nimman Street - Night Bazaar - Hotel

Day 4-8 : Transfer to BKK by flight and then continue your tour by transfering to beach destination. You can choose between Pattaya or Hua Hin. If you visit Pattaya, suggest to stay at Jomtien or Na-Jomtien area to avoid noises. If you visit Hua Hin, you can stay anywhere but will have to face with many Thais in the weekend.

Pattaya : You can visit Prasard Satjatham (Woodteak Palace) - Alcazar Show at night (Cabaret Show - Lady Boy Show) - Floating Market - Walking Street at night

Hua Hin : You can visit Hua Hin Floating Market - Hua Hin Adventure Tour - Wat Huay Mongkol - Cicada Night Market - Hua Hin Night Market

Day 9 : Shopping day at MBK Mall - Siam Square - Platinum Mall Pratunam - China Town at night for Dinner and Flower Market :)

Day 10 : Bye Bye Thailand.

If there' s any q, feel free to inbox me.