We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget travel possible during peak season?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Budget travel possible during peak season?

I had planned on visiting Thailand from Dec 28th to Jan 16th, ~3 weeks. I've read that's peak of the peak season so the prices shoot way up. I'm currently budgeting about 70 USD/2090 baht a day and 500 USD for flights inside Thailand (~2000USD total). I don't think I'll spend much time in south Thailand, maybe 4 days in the Krabi area. Mostly north Thailand and Bangkok. As far as room I just require hot water and a private room (so hostels are out). Will that be enough and if not what do you think would be a good range? Should I check out Vietnam or Loas instead?

1. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 12:02
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

Hi,

It's possible if you stay in guest houses. Eating out in Thailand is cheap and you can pay as little as $ 2 for a basic meal.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

Cranky if I'm going to be spending a lot of time traveling from point A to point B via bus/train I rather just cut my trip short. Ajarn, guesthouses were my intention. I was looking at AirBnB too.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

Hi,

What's AirBnB ? Do check out Air Asia and Nok Air just two budget airlines which fly within Thailand.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

AirBnB is for people who have extra rooms at their homes or an apartment they aren't using. They'll rent it out. Sort of like guesthouses. Air Asia was going to be the airline I took around Thailand

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

I always travel in December - usually from around 7th to 30th, and could definitely manage on your budget.

I paid 350/450 baht in 2 guest houses in CM - with private bathroom but no breakfast. I find accommodation more costly in Bangkok but still inexpensive - I paid 1100 baht on my last trip.

Laos is more expensive, and you won't spend much less in Vietnam. If you're thrifty you'll be fine.

Go and enjoy!

Trisha

7. Re: Budget travel possible during peak season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:17