We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in Thailand

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos in Thailand

From US and spending 2 wks in Thailand late Oct. Am terribly allergic to mosquito bites. How bad are they? What product would you advise? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos in Thailand

Hi sklane

It largely depends on what area you are staying in and whether you are going trecking or into the jungle.

You need to use repellent liberally and as often as the product recommends, also high DEET content.

After many many trips to Thailand I personally have not had a problem.

If you are using sun block apply the repellent last.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos in Thailand

Never use any repellent but mossy(s) don't like me. ,)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos in Thailand

I bought "Off" mosquitoe repellant spray when I was in Chiang Mai (at Boots Pharmacy) - I could only find 15% Deet and yet it worked very well - I sprayed my hands and rubbed the repellant on any bare skin,, sprayed the bottom of my pant legs, top of my hands and ears,, back of my neck,etc. Wore long sleeved light filmy tops and long pants mostly for 3 weeks and travelled in the north and northeast. Mozzies would come near, smell the repellant and go away... I only reapplied after about 7 hrs or if the mosquitoes were actually starting to land on me, which was hardly ever...

If there were mosquitoes in my guesthouse or hotel room, I asked staff to spray the room and went out for 1/2 hour until it dissipated... I also sprayed the bathroom and under the bed before going to bed. If you're in an area where there is standing water or a lot of mosquitoes, use the mosquitoe netting that is usually provided. Air conditioned rooms are a good deterrant.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos in Thailand

Thailand is a tropical country so hot and humid with mosquitoes everywhere, hotels usually disinfest a few times a week the grounds but always use a good repellent even on the soles of your feet a chemist at home will be able to advise you on a good product.

5. Re: Mosquitos in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:16