We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much can you see in three weeks

oldham, manchester
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
how much can you see in three weeks

After being let down at the last minute I am now travelling alone to Thailand at the end if this month. I have decided now to travel round and see seeing if this plan sounds realistic to people with experience? I land in Phuket on 1 April. I have already got a hotel booked in rawai for two nights. Then im free to do as I like until the tenth so I was thinking of trying to get up to Chiang rai and seeing places along the way and then back to Samui by the tenth as I have a hotel bikes for 5 nights that was expensive and I can't get a refund on. So I will be staying there until the 15th. Then I have five more nights and was thinking of going to nakhon si thammarat then across to Krabi and back to Phuket to fly home. I should point out I don't want to fly around so will be using trains, coaches etc. I will have a large hold size suitcase and a hand luggage case aswell as my camera/laptop bag. Im not bothered about where I stay aslong as they are safe and clean. Was thinking hostels as I already have two posh hotels booked.

Does this plan sound realistic?

Many thanks for any advice

Danny

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

Hi,

A lot of travelling around involved. You could travel directly to Bangkok (from Surat Thani) by rail and then onto Chiang Mai. You could also take a night bus from Phuket to Bangkok. Realistically, you are better off heading straight to Chiang Mai which will need a few days. Again, your last five days are doable but much of that time will be spent on the move. Anyway, to save some precious holiday time I would fly at least a couple of times.

oldham, manchester
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

Thanks for the advice, roughly how long is the train ride up north to chiang mai? I only have two weeks to plan this, hence me not having the enjoyment of organising everything early. I rally want to see the north but don't want to spend weeks driving around. My other plan would be to stay south and see more of Phuket, the islands, spend a night on pho phi and more time around krabi

Danny

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

Hi Danny,

This useful link has the rail schedules & travel times:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

I'm reading that you have 7 days between Phuket and Samui? If so, you have got time to see Chiang Mai and C.Rai - but really only if you fly. And flights are so cheap!

Guest houses are also cheap in both those cities - you don't need to consider hostels. I have reviewed the 4 I stayed in.

Thailand is a great place to travel solo. You'll have a great time.

Trisha

Edited: 11 March 2013, 18:38
oldham, manchester
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

Thanks for that link will check it out tomorrow, will also loo at flights, was going to bus or train it but will see, I'm hoping I have a good time, I wad thinking hostels to hopefully met other solo travellers?

Danny

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

You will meet solo, and groups of travellers all over Thailand - it's that kind of place! I don't stay in hostels but in small guest houses and find other guests are always friendly and often looking to team up with someone.

Trisha

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,877 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

Hi,

As Trisha rightly suggests you will meet other people and the best place to do so is to stay at guest houses and travel by rail.

8. Re: how much can you see in three weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16