We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

Hi just wondered if anyone can please advice me on how much the hotel is likely to want to hold on a credit/debit card in bkk and Phuket 4/5 star hotels, per room. The rooms are all pre paid with the holiday company and I will be presenting the check in with vouchers for the rooms upon check in. But was just wondering how much they are likely to want to hold on a card for extras. I want to make sure I have enough" room "on the card to allow for what they want. And does anyone please know if this is avoidable at all. As I'd rather just do a pay as you go rather than run up a tab, having had things appear on my bill in the past that I know we did not use, just think it will be safer all round not to have them hold anything on a card and we pay as we go. Many thanks any help appreciated on this.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

Hi,

It really depends on the hotel itself, but I have found that in my experience it can be around 25% of your room rate...

But again, a LOT of this is hotel specific... Where I find larger "holds" is when my room key can charge a wide range or services such as spa, multiple restaurnts etc... In contrast, smaller or more limited service hotels tend to hold less.

Naturally, the issue is heir risk against you incurring more obligations beyond your prepaid room... And that may be things like unforeseen damages etc... So I wouldn't automatically expect them to waive all the security hold requirements.

Is there a way around it?

Possibly... IMHO your best bet is to ask the hotel directly at check in, but be prepared to offer up something in exchange to do so- a common example is offering to deposit XX amount, in cash, in lieu of a credit hold.

Some hotels might offer to hold less if you agrees to restrict your ability to "charge" to your room.

In a larger hotel, you might have to speak to the front desk, duty or accounting manager to make arrangements or week a compromise.

Travel Safe,

2. Re: Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 15:21
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

Despite the security deposite, either in cash or with CC, you can still settle all your bills (except minibar) with payments as you go.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

If it's a well known hotel I doubt you'll have a problem leaving your security card as a deposit and when you check out t of the hotel you can check the bill to see that you've been correctly charged. Be careful using it in shops and restaurants as that's usually where the scams happen.

5. Re: Credit card pre authorisation amounts in hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:17