We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Topic
Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Committee will decide on Monday whether to impose a nationwide ban on the sale of alcohol during Songkran to help reduce deaths from road accidents during the holiday period.

The full article is in the Phuket Gazette, half way down the page on link below.

http://tinyurl.com/cjfnvdm

Cathy

Edited: 23 March 2013, 04:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

What an excellent idear but its never going to happen . I hate it sooo dangerous we have had buckets of water thrown. In our faces as we have been driving on our scooter this year we are going to shop before it starts and not go out again till its over which in our case in Rayong it lasts about 10- 14 days.....mandy

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

Hi

Unlikely will be happens. But if the ban in places the Thais will find the way. Songkran and alcohol are hand in hand as far as I remember. Most the Thais don't buy alcohol during Songkran, they prepares for this event well in advance from beginning of April.

Edited: 23 March 2013, 06:12
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

I've never been to Thailand during this period but it seems to me it would be like New Year here without alcohol which would be quite bizzarre and unthinkable.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

I think if you visited Thailand, especially Bangkok during Songkran you would realise how drukenness among both Thais and farangs results in it being one of, if not the, highest periods for fatalities in the year. It is not at all like New Year in Western Europe.

Whether the ban is made and then enforced throughout Thailand remains to be seen.

5. Re: Possible ban on sale of alcohol during Songkran.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17