We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa debit cards

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa debit cards

Hi. This will be my first trip abroad, just me and my young teen, so I'd like to be prepared. I bank with halifax & was wondering if I could use my existing visa debit card in Bangkok & Phuket.

If really appreciate any advice,

Thank you in advance,

Lisa

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa debit cards

I used my Visa Debit card without any problems throughout SEA, including Bangkok. Just advise your bank that you are going to Thailand to mini ise the chance that your card is flagged as fraud as it is used in an unusual country. Also take the number of your bank's number of its contact centre in case you have a problem with your card (they can easily fix this if your card is not working)

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa debit cards

Hi Lisa

Yes you'll be able to use your debit card, and like the above poster says make sure you inform your bank before you leave. I would also suggest you check their charges too, as some banks apply heavy fees for foreign transactions. Also remember there is a 150 baht atm fee issued also.

If you haven't read it already, you may find the following FAQ of assistance:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
112 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa debit cards

yes, but as stated inform bank of dates and itinerary beforehand.

do check all charges too.

travellers cheques a good option too.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa debit cards

Forgot to add, if you have a second card, bring it along as a back up (either debot or credit card) - worst thing is that you suddenly have no way to get money for an emergency.

I also take cash with me for the first few days- saves me using the card all the time and pay additional fees (as stated above)

Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa debit cards

I've been researching this topic recently for an upcoming trip and Halifax are the best bank to be with when travelling. Their debit card fees are slightly less than the other high street banks and their credit cards are very good value. They charge no commission, only the conversion fee.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa debit cards

Thank you for all of the advice, feel a little safer knowing I can use my card as back up.

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa debit cards

I only encountered trouble once last year, at the Baiyoke Tower in Bangkok trying to pay for a meal & see the observation deck. They disputed that as it had printed numbers & not raised it wasn't valid & refused to even try it. So it was a merchant problem not the card itself.

Everywhere else i used it (airport, Bangkok, Koh Samui & Koh Phangan) i had no problems.

8. Re: Visa debit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:17