We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Sussex
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying your Passport at all times ?

I read that you should always carry your passport with you ? is this fact, i searched the Forums but it had been closed due to inactivity ? can anyone help please

very excited 6 days til we fly to Bangkok!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Hi,

We carry copies around with us which include the visa exemption page.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Don't bother either - will be a big pain in the ar*e if you lose it. Keep it in the safe where it belongs. :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Hi

We did the same as Andy, just make a photo copy of your passport and carry it with you. But I have never photo copy excempt visa page as I had it done before I left home. also good idea to make a photo copy of everything ( passport, traveller cheques, teavle insurance, flights details etc) and left it behind with family back home.

Happy holiday :)

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

^scan it and have it available in your email. (send it to yourself) ;)

england
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

25 times to Thailand now and never have i met anyone that carries a passport or as ever been asked to show their passport. Keep it locked up. If you lose it you sure will be sorry.

Sussex
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

thank you everyone for your comments, thats a good idea britmavaric and sweetpea good advise as always, thanks will photocopy and scan ! see you in Thailand soon !!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

We never carry our passport anywhere always keep it locked up in the safe. Have a great holiday.

new jersey
Level Contributor
52 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

We lost ours in Italy. The villa we stayed did not have safes. What a pain, a 2 hr drive to Milan. Our embassy came through for us. Keep them locked if you can.

Kent
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Hi there,

Im travelling to Thailand and am a bit worried about this! Was reading the info on the governments travel advice site and it says that tourists have been arrested before for not being able to produce their passport! Sods law we would get asked to show ours and if we produce a photocopy I'm worried they won't accept it...? At the same time I can't decide wehats worse...potentially losing passport or potentially being arressted for not carrying a genuine passport...?

Maybe just being paranoid?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying your Passport at all times ?

Have never carried my passport around in Thailand or any other country. Keep in hotel safe and carry a photo copy.

Never been asked to show passport either.