We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

Bergamo
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

my plan is to go to chang mai for only 3 days..1 day for visiting the city, 1 day trekking and 1 day elephant site.. is it worth it? maybe it's just a waste of time, energies and money..would you suggest any other good trekking and nature destinations (elephant sites too) without going up north, considering that i'll spend the rest of my vacation in bangkok, krabi area and koh tao (18 days in total)?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

It's worth going up North. Fabulous experience and you'll end up saving money. Accommodation, food, getting around - everything is cheaper up in the North. You have many different elephant camps/conservation centers and elephant homes to choose from. You could also combine this day trip with a hill tribe visit if you wanted to.

If you go by over night train you will also save a nights accommodation.

Have a look at the Chiang Mai forum - there is a top 20 things to do in the FAQ on the right hand side of the page. This might help you decide.

You'll see a completely different side of Thailand in the North.

Caroline.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

Absolutely worth it!

As Caroline said, it's not expensive - you can find perfectly good, basic en-suite rooms in a guest house for less than 600 baht. There are low cost airlines if you choose to fly.

CM is quite different from anywhere else in Thailand - don't miss it!

Trisha

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,894 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

Agree, it is worth visiting for just three days, However, closer to Bangkok is Kanchanaburi which is reachable by rail/bus. It offers opportunities for hiking and there are elephant camps too. Read this link about natural beauty:

kanchanaburi.sawadee.com/waterfalls.html

Edited: 13 April 2013, 19:48
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

Hi,

I agree .... But in the end "worth it" is very much a subjective determination.

My question to that end would be; if you don't go, what's the alternative plan for both the time as well as money? To me, unless you've got a better plan for this time and money, then I think 3 days in Chiang Mai is a very worthwhile thing to do.

I do however also recognize that, on average, each time you move from city to city doenstically here in Thailand, you will "eat up" about 3 to 5 hours of total time starting from and consisting of the time you leave your hotel at the origin city, travel time to the airport and check-in time, actual flying time (can be as short as :45 to as much as 2:30+), time for arrival and baggage reclaim (if applicable) and time to get into the city and/or your next hotel... And in most cases this is done during daylight hours.

I mention this only to point out that while moving around and seeing other cities is a great idea- and one that I personally wholly support - I also caution folks to remember and account for the time; about 1/5 to as much as 1/3 of a traditional daytime hours - that will be consumed in moving around.

I've seen a lot of plans that call for going to multiple cities in a shorter vacation period.. but when you factor out the time spent in travel, leaves not a whole lot of actual there in that city.

Travel Safe,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

I would definitely visit for 3 days, our first visit was only 2 days and we loved it.

6. Re: is it worth it to go to chiang mai for only 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:17