We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai airways airport scam

Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thai airways airport scam

I am curious to know if anyone else has recently been victim to a scam running through Bangkok international airport, in which I believe Thai airways staff are involved. On our flight back to Brisbane last night, we had carried our duty free purchases - in sealed bags and purchased within the airport of our connecting flight. We were searched at the first bag check and permitted to proceed. However, when we reached a second bag check at the Thai airways gate, all duty free was confiscated, and no receipt provided. They claimed (falsely) to be enforcing Australian regulations that prohibit passengers bringing more than 100ml bottles back to Australia- when we argued that this did not apply to sealed dutyfree purchased, the staff of the airport and the airline became quite threatening and belligerent in their manner towards us. I am yet to follow this up with Thai airways in Australia, but would like to know if anyone else has had this experience, as I did see other passengers having their purchases taken

1. Re: Thai airways airport scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 23:28
Edited: 19 April 2013, 23:28
2. Re: Thai airways airport scam

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 23:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,613 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai airways airport scam

No scam, its law.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,773 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai airways airport scam

Australian Regulations not Thai!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai airways airport scam

There's been a lot of posts on this and it isn't a scam but not very fair as it's I think only australia that prohibits this.

Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai airways airport scam

actually, I checked with Customs on arrival in Australia and they agreed that the confiscation had nothing to do with Australian law - they saw no reason why the alcohol could not be brought into Australia from Thailand.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai airways airport scam

Do a Google search for "Thailand Alcohol to Australia" ,)

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai airways airport scam

According to the Australian government you cannot carry duty free onto an aircraft unless it is delivered to the gate. It's not a scam

…infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/du…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai airways airport scam

Previously when I have tried to buy alcohol at the duty free in Bangkok I was asked where I was going and when I said Australia, I was told that they could not sell it to me.

10. Re: Thai airways airport scam

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:19