We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Hi,

I'm travelling to Thailand in July, and I'll be in the country for about 3 days before I travel onwards to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. I'll then come back into Thailand for 16 days. Overall my trip lasts 42 days.

When I arrive (by air) into Bangkok the first time I should get a 30-day tourist visa, and as I understand it, when I arrive back in Thailand (by land) later on in the trip, I'll get a 15-day tourist visa. If I'm staying for 16 days, then I need to apply for a visa for this second part, but looking online it seems as if I need to get a 60-day visa for the whole trip, with multiple entries, so I need to pay £25 for each entry, ie, £50 altogether, which means I have to pay £50 for just one extra day in Thailand, even though I'll only be in the country for 19 days overall. Is this correct? Is there any way I could avoid paying for this multiple entry visa since I'm actually staying for less than 30 days overall? Or do I need to get this tourist visa with multiple entries?

Any advice you could give me would be great!

Thank you, Amber

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Hi Amber,

When you arrive on a UK passport you receive a visa waiver stamp (30 days by air, 15 days by land or sea) not a tourist visa. It's a visa exemption. Technically when you check in on departing UK you should have Proof Of Onward Travel (call it POOT) from Thailand to your other destinations. Similarly when you re-enter you should have POOT for your departure. The onus is put on airlines' to check his before you depart but whether it will actually be requested is in other people's experience infrequent. If you do have onward travel proof then you are OK.

Now in relation to your 16 days on re-entering Thailand that is technically an overstay and you should apply for an extension at the nearest Immigration Office. It will cost you 1900 baht. However, you should be aware that granting the overstay is not automatic, it is upto the Immigration Officer's discretion. So there is a risk. Full information on this can be found at thaiembassy.com/thailand/overstay-visa-thail…

As 1900 baht is about £42 at the moment obtaining a two visit 60 day tourist visa for £50 + £10 postage or admin fee to avoid wasting time at Immigration may be worth it. Alternatively you could get a a 60 day single entry visa from a Thai Embassy in your last country before re-entering Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Hi Arandora,

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll get my visa in advance since I'm travelling alone and I'd rather avoid risking getting into trouble if they don't grant me an extension while I'm out there. Could I receive the 30-day visa waiver stamp when I arrive, and just apply for the 1-entry tourist visa for the second part? I mean, would it be legal for me to say I'm only entering once and pay just £25 for the tourist visa, if I've used the 30-day visa waiver for the first part of my trip? So I'd have the 30-day visa waiver for the first part, and a tourist visa that I'd applied for before my trip for the second part.

Thanks for your help,

Amber

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Hi Amber,

I'm not sure how that would work as the visa you get is stamped in your passport by the Royal Thai Consulate in the UK before you leave and the visa waiver stamp applied at the airport when you arrive, so presumably when the Immigration Officer saw the Tourist visa he/she would not apply the visa waiver stamp. Unless you can ask them to give you the waiver as you are only staying for 3 days then returning when you want to use the Tourist visa. I seem to recall someone suggesting this in similar circumstances, one of the other forum regulars more knowledgeable on this aspect than me. Hopefully he will pick this post up and confirm or otherwise. You could always phone the Royal Thai Embassy in Hull via this link as that is where we go for our visas. They are very friendly and efficient. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Hi Arandora,

Yes I see what you mean. I'll see if anyone else posts on here in the next few days, and if not then I'll contact the embassy to ask them, but yeah I think you're right, I'll probably need to get the 2-entry 60 day tourist visa in advance, just to be sure.

Thank you!

Amber

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Just stay one day longer in another country before returning to Thailand, then the 15 day visa waiver would be fine assuming you have POOT.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Yeah I wish I could do that but the bit where I return to Thailand is part of an organised trip so we have to return to Thailand on that day. If I'd thought about visas before I'd booked my flights I would have gone home a day earlier!

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

I am reiginiting this thread. Hopefully that is OK. I have a similar experience and I was hoping

I was considering an itinerary where I arrive to Chiang Mai on 2/14. I fly to Burma on 2/16. On 2/26 or so i will be flying from Burma to BKK. Due to flights, i will need to spend the night in Bangkok. I fly out early morning to Bhutan on 2/27. I am then in Bhutan, then Kathmandu. I Fly from Kathmandu to Bangkok on 3/31 and will be in thailand until 4/13 when i return to the states.

From the very first arrival, technically it is 59 days. However, i am literally in Thaialnd only a few days the first visit, 1 day the second visit and then 14 days the 3rd. By leaving and coming back multiple times (via air) does this re-start my 30-days in any way? OR will i have to get a 60-day tourist visa in advance? :/

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

Each time you arrive in Thailand by air you'll be entitled to a 30-day visa exemption. There's no limit on the number of these exemptions you can get. It doesn't matter if you stay 3 days or 30, when you leave, the exemption is cancelled and you get a new one when you come back.

Of more concern is the requirement for Proof of Onward Travel (POOT). Offiicially, one of the requirements for a visa exemption is POOT within the time of the 30-day exemption, but Thai Immigration rarely if ever asks for it. However the airlines DO ask for it, particularly in the US because it shows up in their Timatic database and they're afraid of fines and other sanctions if they don't comply. One way to avoid this is a 60-day Tourist Visa, which negates the need to show POOT.

However, if you have a confirmed air flight to Burma two days after your arrival in Thailand, that's all you need for POOT in any case. Make sure you have a copy of your Burma itinerary or e-ticket to show to the check-in agent in NYC,

Edited: 16 October 2013, 15:37
Mentioned in this post
Visa Hotel
Visa Hotel
85 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

THANK YOU! This was Exactly what i needed to hear.

I am playing around with the itinerary and now need to figure out the same question for vietnam! If i start in HCM (Saigon) and go up to Cambodia to Laos and then back to Hanoi Vietnam, i think i might have to get a multiple visa for vietnam...or does anyone know if the same rules apply for thailand as they do for vietnam?

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
3 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for re-entry, exceeding 30 days, multiple entry?

If it means anything, 2 years ago I flew in to Thailand and had the 30 days stamp but less than half way through I visited Laos by land, I was stamped for 14 days. Your latest visa stamp superseeds any previous. It meant that with my POOT I overstayed my visa by 1 day. I went to an immigration office to see if I needed to do anything. I was told because it was only 1 day it wasn't a problem. However if it was 2 or more then a fine can be expected. True to the immigration officer's word when I left at the passport control office at the airport they took me to the side and I had to sign something, they didn't ask any questions as both stamps were on the same page of my passport it was pretty self explanatory, no fine and I was on my way back.

I have heard rumours that Thailand Immigration officials aren't too keen on persistent overstayers.

I applied for a single entry visa for Vietnam via a special website that the Vietnamese government had set up, very helpful. When I spoke to a few travellers, they had opted to a multi entry visa because they had planned to do as you had, I recommend visiting that site, sorry I can't recall the link.

Mentioned in this post