We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Has anyone been on the Affordable Asia Thailand tour? I see some comments about their China tour, but nothing on Thailand. The lack of posts makes me suspicious! Pls post your comments, good or bad, even if only one sentence! Thanks.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

We just arrived today from a trip using affordable Asia. And I will say I have never been on a trip that I have been more thrilled with. The agency take care of our every single made all we have to do was wake up and get dressed. We got our money's worth in every single sentence. Everything from that extra activities that we did and the hotels were excellent. Our tour guide Audio was such a wonderful person as was the driver.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

So . . .

Where did you go?

What sights did you see?

What hotels did you stay at?

How did you get about?

How did you book it?

Any clues?

Why use a tour agent? Why not do it yourself?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,613 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Audio .. he was Audi on your last post.

Shame you had to dress yourself. Between waking up and having to dress yourself. Did they wash you ?? Lol

Edited: 14 April 2014, 08:14
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Did you go? We're set to go soon so I was wondering what proper attire is. We'll post when we get back.

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

We did go on this tour in November, 2014. It was outstanding. Affordable Asia was 5-star. Everything was just as presented. I highly recommend it.

The weather was very hot and you had to be covered in the temples. I recommend summer dresses or very thin capris, with a thin shawl or ruana for your shoulders in the temples. You can buy cotton drawstring pants there with deep pockets for about $7 at any market - one size fits most - once you find those, you'll wear them every day.

Hyde Park, Utah
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Hi! I'm wanting to book this trip for April. I'm hesitant about doing a tour group package because there are a few deviations I want to make from this itinerary. After reading reviews, that seems to be possible? I want to go to the tiger temple instead of the tiger zoo, leave the group during the gem/silk factory to go to the empiriel city, and transfer back earlier the last day in Pattaya to fly to Phuket for our last night and extra day in Bangkok. Is this something we could pull off/ would the guides let us?

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

You should direct your question to the travel agency, not to other travelers.

Hyde Park, Utah
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

I have and they said we can do whatever we want. I guess I was mostly wondering if any travellers had done something similar and how they felt it went. We're they glad they changed some things? Was it not worth the money since you're already pay for set things? Did the guides offer any assistance in your customizing the trip?

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

We did not take the Phuket option, we took the Chaing Mai option, but I don't think your guide will care if you want to do your own thing. I don't know if anyone did that in our group or not. I thought the trip was a great bargain, so if you want to splurge and do some extra things on your own, I think you should. For example, the Bangkok hotels were beautiful - they would have been $250 or $300/night in the US - but they were only about $60/night! A one hour massage was $5. A tuk-tuk ride into town in Chiang Mai was about $3. So it's not expensive to do things on your own.

We did go to the gem and silk factory in Chiang Mai. It was interesting to see the silkworms, the women weaving on looms, and see how the silk was made. Of course, the prices were marked up for American tourists: Save your money and buy your scarves at the Chiang Mai night market for $25!

There are whole days of free time built into the trip, or you can pay extra for certain tours. We decided to go on most of the optional tours, even though we usually don't do that, because It was so much less hassle to let the tour guides do the driving and navigating, and the tours were interesting. Also, we really enjoyed a group of travelers that we met on our same tour, so we signed up for the optional tours together and that was fun.

My recommendations: Get lots of massages, shop at the Chatichuk Weekend Market in Bangkok, visit the Asiatique Night Market and go to the ladyboys show there (also in Bangkok). Have fun!

Hyde Park, Utah
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Asia Thailand Tour

Thanks so much! I added all your Bangkok recommendations to my list. I haven't been able to get a response from any other travelers. I booked the tour and will make full payment today. I had a panic moment when I saw that there is a$50 deviation charge for any deviation from the tour. But then learned that that only applies to things like extending your stay and that I won't be hit with charges any time I simply disappear and then show up again. It's really just the last night and day that we want to go off and not be in Bangkok the extra day.

Now I just have two things left to figure out. 1. Book our short flight to LA. I'm nervous about how early to get there since I know it's totally separate and if our flight is delayed, we're in big trouble. Maybe you didn't have to fly to your departing airport but if you did, how early did you arrive? 2. I've read a bunch of reviews on their website and others where people said they went and saw the Great Wall of China during their Beijing layover. We have an 8.5 layover there each way and I'd really like to squeeze that in if there is enough time. Did you or anyone in your group do this? If so, can you get the non visa stamp there or do you have to do something in advance?

Last question I promise- did you do the coral island tour? And was it awesome? I'm thinking we'll want to do it separately by speedboat so that we could be there longer. Or possibly go to a different, less touristy island off of Pattaya.