We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand Visa Options

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand Visa Options

Hi,

I will be travelling around SE Asia and wasting my 30 day Thai exemption visa (UK) by going straight to Cambodia after a few days in Bangkok before heading further on the loop through Vietnam and Laos.

As I am not exploring Thailand before leaving for Cambodia, I will want to do that at the end for 3 weeks. 2 weeks in the south: beaches, islands etc... and 1 week in Chang Mai before back to Bangkok for flight home.

The problem is the visa as coming from Laos by land gives you only 15 days and I would need to try and get a 7 day extension from an immigration office(?) or pay a lot more to fly from Vientiane or where ever to Bangkok/Phuket to get a 30 day visa again.

What is the cheapest or best option? Or are there any other solutions to my predicament?

Thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand Visa Options

If it is not too late, reverse the order of your trip. It appears to be much cheaper to fly from Pnomh Penh to Bangkok on Air Aisa (about 100 USD) than to fly from Vientiane. Another idea is to add a visa run while you are in Phuket. Fly down to KL or Singapore on the cheapest ticket you can find, maybe spend a night or 2, and then fly back to Phuket.

I do not know the cost of getting a visa waiver extension and the specifics for somebody who entered by a land border. My friend has done that after entering by air, and it was a fairly simple process and cheaper than a visa run.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Hi

You could apply for a double entry visa before you leave. It then doesn't matter if you travel by land, I think it's about £50.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c131672/Thail…

Edited: 30 May 2013, 23:13
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Get a double entry visa as lushlynds says. No worries, no visa runs, no extensions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Thanks.

Could I get a Thai visa in Laos to use for my second entry so I don't need an extension?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Yes you can at the embassy in Vientiane. Something to consider though is your first entry to Thailand. If you don't have proof of onward travel (POOT) within 30 days you may be refused boarding by your airline. POOT is required for the 30 day visa waiver. That's why a double entry visa before you leave is the best option. Also the embassy in Vientiane is very busy so you will have a lot of waiting to do or pay an agent 3,000 - 5,000 baht to do it for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand Visa Options

The double entry visa is quite a lot though and I am doing a booked tour of Cambodia after a few days so that is my POOT for the visa exemption.

I heard there are queues in the Thai consulate in Laos but not a massive hassle I wouldn't think and fairly cheap for a visa there at 1000baht roughly.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Up to you of course. 1,000 baht is half the cost of a double entry visa. If it's worth hanging around the embassy on 2 days to save the other 1,000 then go for it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand Visa Options

So with a visa you don't need POOT correct?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand Visa Options

Correct.

10. Re: Thailand Visa Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:17