We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm a citizen of a so-called "infected" country - that's the passport I hold.

However, I've been living up here in China for the last 5 months - that's where I'm travelling from.

Is 5 months enough time for them not to require such certificate from me?

I thought this was an non-issue, but now that I'm trying to confirm it and that I'm not getting clear replies, I'm not so at ease. . .

I already contacted the Thai embassy in my country of origin - but I think there's a language barrier issue there as, from the reply, I just don't think my question was understood.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 17:06
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,693 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

I think the Thai Foreign Ministry statement mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15384-List-of… on this is pretty clear. No vaccination certificate is required, but you may need to demonstrate that you have not been in the affected areas, i.e. been in China long enough.

This should be easy enough using the entry and departure stamps in your passport, considering that the incubation period of yellow fever is less than 7 days.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

Ah, only 7 days! Good!

I saw that page but wasn't sure what is that they consider "concrete evidence showing that their domicile is not in an infected area".

Karachi
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

If you belong to the country as you say you do, it may very well become an issue during travel. I would advise getting one. Better get over a small hassle than face a bigger one at the terminal

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

"If"s, "may"s and "would"s. . . that's kind of the problem. I'm sending mails trying to contact an authority that could give me a definite answer. The last thing the Thai embassy told me back home (after insisting) is that "the rule is that it depends on the migrations authority" (yeah, that).

The only reason I would get the shot is to travel to Thailand now (I think the costs/risks outweigh the benefits). I don't need it anywhere else as only Thailand considers my country to have the disease (as it is endemic to a relatively small jungle region, far to the north, I've never been to).

For all I care, I could travel later with my other citizenship; I just can't do it - now - from China.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

Ok. . .

No official reply yet but I've found this. . .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606232-yellow-fever-vaccine-flying-from-sydney/?hl=%2Byellow+%2Bfever#entry5998610

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

Back. Awesome vacation all in all.

Now, before I forget, here is how it went:

Upon arrival at migrations I am intercepted by an airport staff who takes a quick look at my passport and sends me to Health Control. I tell him "but I live in China"; answer is "it doesn't matter, it depends on your nationality". Ok. . .

At Health Control I fill a form asking me "in which countries have I been in during the last two weeks" - I put China and a big long line crossing out the remaining space just to make the obvious more obvious.

Incidentally, I try to show my Chinese residence permit to the Health Control woman - but can't tell whether she doesn't care, doesn't understand or is just having a bad day. She does go through my passport while I fill the form.

Also, this might not be necessary, as it seems that what matters is those two weeks. but on my migrations form I state that my "place of residence" is China.

Nothing else. No questions. No comments. Health Control just gives me a stamp on the papers and I'm back to migrations not to hear of the yellow fever subject again for the next 16 days.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 17:49
7. Re: Yellow Fever Certificate - tough question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:18