We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

my daughter and I have 3 weeks in Thailand and spending time in Bangkok, CM area and Ko Phi Phi. We are renting a car in CM and will stay at Rawee Waree resort Sept 28- Oct 1 In terested in Elephant sanctuary and tiger sanctuary. Then Oct 1 we travel MHS loop to Sariang. Hope the drive is not too long so we can see some of the sites along the way. I have the Budget Rental MHS Loop travel guide which is quite good. Oct 2 we travel to Mae Hong Son and stay 2 nights at Fern resort Oct 4 we travel to Soppong which I think is a 2 hour drive. We want to get there in time to do some caving at Thom Lod and are interested in being at the cave at nightfall to see the bats. Oct 5 we leave and drive to CM where we are staying in the old part of the city I am thinking it is likely a 4 hour drive? We will have the rest of that day and Oct 6 to explore CM and fly on Oct 7 to Phuket. Anyone profiled insight on drive times, must see or do and the pacing of this. Originally I tried to look into flying to MHS and renting a car one way to drive back through Sappong/Pai but could not find any car companies that would allow a one way rental.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Satie37, here's a map and a couple of photos of the area.

Remember to drive on the LHS in MHS and to wear a hat to the cave.

www.clickthai.de/Bilder/Karten/ThaiN70.gif

The Residence MHS

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g297928-d146…

Soppong River Inn

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g297928-d594…

Have fun

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Grab a copy of the nancy chandler map too. I bought mine off the website so if you google it you'll find it. I bought it because heaps of people here recommended it. I love it.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Hi Satie37,

I've driven the MHS loop a few times and your times are not too far off. From CM to Mae Sarieng is 190km and is going to take you 4-5 hours. The road is pretty straight until Hot and then a bit windier. MS to MHS takes 3-4 hours and Khun Yuam makes a nice stop, the road is steep and windy in several sections. 2 hours MHS to Soppong is about right, but I think it will take you 4-5 hours to drive from there back to CM, the road between Pai and Mae Rim is the hardest/slowest section on the MHS loop imo.

North Wheels in Chiang Mai will do a one way rental, they have an office in Pai and will drop or pick up in MHS for approx one days rental.

Cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

THanks! I will check out North Wheels as I was wondering if it was worth driving the southern portion of the loop. Think we might fly to MHS and rent a car from there and drive back to CM affording us more time in MHS and Sappong/Paid and CM.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Sounds like a good plan. Please be careful though. The road is extremely slippery when wet. And by the way, don't panic when you see somebody heading towards you on your side of the road. Just a motorist overtaking on a yellow line. Also, local drivers tend to use the whole width of the road - especially when cornering. Just something to be aware of if you aren't already.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Hi,

Just to add to the above post, also be on the look out for orange posts or signs on the nearside of the road, it usually means that around the next corner there is some sort of obstructure or hazard, ie, a small landslip, work in progress, etc. You will soon get used to them but the road can hairy at times.

Personally on the southern section question, I like Mae Sariang a lot so for me it's worthwhile driving the southern route, although I often do a diversion to Doi Inthanon and Mae Chaem and then take the back road to rejoin the 108 at Ban Op Luang. But if time is short then flying into MHS - it's a fun flight - and spending more time in that area is a sensible option.

Cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I actually was able to book a one way rental through North Wheels so we will fly to MHS and then do the Northern Loop. This will leave us a bit more time to spend in each area and YES I will make sure to wear a hat in the cave!!!

~ Pat

8. Re: Feedbaack on Chiang Mai plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:16