We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Thailand/Malaysia one-way ticket...allowed?

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Thailand/Malaysia one-way ticket...allowed?

Hey all,

I've been accepted to teach English at a very large public school in Hat Yai, Thailand. The problem is, even though the offer is legit, my future employer will not furnish any documents to me to process a work visa until AFTER I sign the contract and start teaching. This is standard practice for the foreign (farang) teachers at this school.

I heard that some airlines get upset and may not allow me to board unless I have an actual visa. Does anyone know of any specific policy regarding this? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

-Jason

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Thailand/Malaysia one-way ticket...allowed?

Hi,

What I think you're referring to is the fact that under Thai immigration law, one of the numerous things you (the passenger) must possess in order to use the visa waiver or tourist visa exemption entry system (that means coming to Thailand without a formal visa already issued to you and stamped into your passport) is that you must have proof of onward travel out of Thailand on or before the end of the 30th day you're in Thailand.

Important thing here is that this is Thailand's law, immigration law... Not the carriers.. The carriers must enforce these laws because IF they don't and Thai immigration detects a person without all the correct documents, and then decides not to admit them- the carrier is liable for large fines and must usually also fly that passenger back to where they came from-- both are expensive and time consuming to the airline...

So, to protect themselves, they will require you to have and be able to show to the airline agent that you have *everything* Thai law requires you to have.. If you don't, the carrier is entitled to deny you boarding, and in most cases, do so with no liability to.

What you will find is that it's UNcommon to be asked by Thai Immigration for this... BUT its not unheard of and they do have every legal right to do so and deny you entry if you don't.. The carriers- as they have a large fine risk - tend to be the ones who *will* be the ones to scrutinize passenger paperwork much more closely.

Just be sure you have a ticket OUT of Thailand before the end of the 30th day and you'll be ok.. The ticket *can* be one-way...

But.. Just like it was when coming to Thailand, if you plan to use a one-way ticket out if Thailand to satisfy this "proof of onward travel" requirement, be sure that you check to be sure that the country that you're planning to go to doesn't have a similar requirement and that you don't need a visa for it (and don't)

In other words, the onward ticket can be to anywhere-- Asia or otherwise.. But wherever that is, be sure that you have to possess the paperwork to get it.. Thankfully a large part of Southeast Asia is visa-free for most western nations or countries where a visa can be obtained upon arrival.. So this shouldn't be an issue .. But be aware.

Once you get here, the school will (and should) give you all the papers you need to apply for a single-entry Non-immigrant visa at a nearby Thai Embassy.. Many use the Thai Embassy in Laos.. When you come back to Thailand after obtaining this Non-immigrant visa - you won't need to deal with this "proof of travel" issue as it doesn't apply to the non-immigrant visa holders.

Travel Safe,

2. Re: Travelling to Thailand/Malaysia one-way ticket...allowed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17