We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

For a honeymoon my fiance and I are talking about traveling to Asia for approximately 2 weeks or so. We would be flying from San Francisco and in order to maximize our time NOT on airplanes, we only want to fly direct/nonstop to each destination. We were thinking something like this...not necessarily in this order (although to Hong Kong would be necessary first from San Francisco):

SFO - Honk Kong (2 nights)

to Phuket (4 nights)

to Chiang Mai (2 nights)

to Bangkok (1 night)

to Kathmandu (1-2 nights, we just want to do an aerial tour of Mt. Everest)

to New Dehli (2 nights, don't really want to go to India, but the only easy way to get out of Nepal)

back to HKK for another night or two before returning to the US

Is that too crammed a schedule for 2 weeks? There are just so many places in South Asia, but really we want to get as much as we can. I am sure people who have been would disagree, but it seems that Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Northern Thailand have a similar countryside, so we thought Chiang Mai would be great. Phuket because it's romantic/beachy (something romantic for the honeymoon). BKK really we would not mind skipping, it's just a hub to get to Nepal, and the same with New Dehli as India isn't that interesting to us.

Thoughts, suggestions? This is kind of a trip of a lifetime for us...meaning we've never been to Asia and there is a possibility we may never have the time to go back again, at least not to South Asia (i.e. go to Australia or Japan instead).

Last question is whether or not an aerial view of Mt. Everest would likely be visible in July, because that's when we would be going?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 01:01
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

Hi

I can't answers much of your questions. However your plans in Chaingmai are too short perhaps 3-4 nights would be sufficient to see more and worth airfares or your travel time. Chiangmai is in the north and Phuket is in the south you will need to allowed travel time between these places.

From Bangkok fly to Chiangmai I would fly with low cost airlines. From Chiangmai fly direct or via Bangkok to Phuket, then back to Bangkok outbound to others countries on your itinerary.

Best o post your questions about Kathmandu in their own forums page. You will get better answers there.

Good luck :)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 02:26
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

Personally I think that looks way too crammed, 1 night in Kathmandu? 1 in India? 2 nights in Chiang Mai is the same as visiting Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Northern Thailand?

July is summer monsoon season over Everest isn't it? The Everest flights are scheduled for everyday but the best season is Sept-May.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

My suggestion is that you spend a week on an island and another week in Chiang Mai, catching a direct flight if you can or through Bangkok. You are going to be on your honeymoon! The itinerary you've mapped out at present won't even give you time to kiss each other goodnight before you're off to another destination....!

Yes, your itinerary is way too busy - you'd be totally exhausted at the end of it, in my opinion, and never have time to really enjoy and relax. Cut out at least half of what you've got planned.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

You are going on your Honeymoon from my side its very crammed. Too many places you want to go for and in the end you will just be doing packing, unpacking, checkin, checkout and transfers from airport to hotel and back to airport. Just stick to 2-3 Place maximum and spend quality time with your partner.

Cheers

Sanchit

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

i would leave India for another trip, you're travelling around way to much and will not have time to visit anything, stick with Hong Kong and Thailand, it will still be rushed but doable. In July it's monsoon season in Phuket so Koh Samui on the other coast would be a better option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,628 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

I agree with Chrella, stick with HK and Thailand. 2 nights HK, 3 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Chiang and then the beach.

November - April weather is best on the West Coast (Andaman Sea)..

May – Sept weather is best on the East Coast (Gulf Coast)

So you will be better looking at beaches on the East Coast. Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao etc. Phuket will be in its rainy season in July.

7. Re: Heavy on Thailand, but need general Asia advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17