We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget travel Thailand

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budget travel Thailand

Hello, I am 18 years old (South African) and I am planning on traveling Thailand with one other friend next year 2014. I am planning on landing in Bangkok and eventually getting to Phuket. I am planning a seriously budget trip and am willing to stay in the most run down places if it saves me cash!

I am really seeking advice on the cheapest way to see all the most beautiful places. Any tips on the cheapest way to live ie food, transport, accomodation. And roughly the amount of cash I would need for a 6 month stay. Also what is the best route to take from Bangkok.

I will be so greatefull for advice! :)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,897 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget travel Thailand

Two things you need to give some consideration to: first is how you're going to stay for 6 months visa-wise. A tourist visa obtained in advance from a Thai consulate or embassy is good for a 60-day stay. You can extend that by 30 days for 1900 baht at an Immigration office, but then you have to leave Thailand and get another visa outside the country. Some Thai embassies will give you a dual entry visa. Theoretically, both 60-day entries could be extended by 30 days for a total of 6 months. (However, you'd still have to leave after 90 days and return.)

The second is that Phuket is the most expensive tourist destination in the country. But there are many more very beautiful places and islands where accommodation and food costs are a fraction of what you have to pay in Phuket.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget travel Thailand

Was also going to say that if you are on such a tight budget then Phuket is best avoided.

Would advise doing a lot more research as we have no idea what sort of things you like to do, grab a Lonely Planet or Frommers book and have a good read.

Places like Bangkok, Chiang Mai and islands like Koh Phangan are all good for backpackers and all have reasonably priced accommodation, but there are heaps of other places along the way.

Moving around less will keep your prices down and using buses and trains will be the cheapest way to travel - eating where the locals eat will keep your food prices down.

You haven't mentioned what time of year you are going as the weather can have an impact on your plans.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 01:03
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget travel Thailand

Hello, thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry for being so vague. I am planning on arriving in Bangkok in January - February. I am planning to have one other freind with me. We will be backpacking around, getting really dirty. We are both interested in the nightlife (not huge partiers but we want to get to meet many people). We both love exploring untouched places and making our own missions into the unknown. We both love diving, surfing, mountain climbing. We are both adrenaline junkies you could say.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget travel Thailand

My guess is you would love the following places in no particular order:

Bangkok - sightseeing, temples and nightlife

Kanchanaburi - nature and history

Chiang Mai - Temples, adventures, trekking

Chaing Rai - Trekking and nature

Pai - Backpacker vibe

Koh Phayam - like the old days

Koh Tao - partying, diving, snorkelling, zip lining

Koh Phangan - partying and chilling

Krabi - stunning views, magnificent islands

Phi Phi - partying and diving

Trang - a little off the beaten track, island living and chilling

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget travel Thailand

Hi, Thailand (and SE Asia generally) is very friendly to the budget traveller.

If you have 6 mths to work with, then look into using buses and trains to get around, they are very well priced. Remember about Thailand's visa restrictions. Check that - you can go to a neighbouring country as well... that might suit your plans.

I second Cassnu's ideas about Kanchanaburi, Chaing Mai, Krabi - all her ideas would make for a great experience. If you are arriving in January, remember that is high season, so prices reflect that.

You might want to check out travelfish as well, it has great advice about budget Asian travelling.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget travel Thailand

Yes, plenty of other places that are more budget friendly than Thailand such as Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

7. Re: Budget travel Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:20