We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temples and Footwear

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Temples and Footwear

A little confused here. Maybe I am just not reading things right.

In the FAQ's section it states that you must wear closed in shoes - not sandals or flip flops for temples (yes I know Grand Palace is a must for closed shoes) yet you have to remove your shoes before going into temples. I find that hard to understand. Why is it important to wear shoes of a certain type if you just have to take them off anyway? Can anyone please enlighten me here. It's okay if I am being dumb too but I'm just a little confused. Thanks.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temples and Footwear

You can wear anything you like on your feet to any temples as footwear is removed prior to entry. As you have said, the exception is the Grand Palace where there is a temple inside the palace grounds.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temples and Footwear

Thanks diinaus for clarifying that, much appreciated.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temples and Footwear

Yes, you only have to be careful at the Palace, it won't be a problem anywhere else.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temples and Footwear

When I went to the Grand Palace I wore Birkenstock Thongs with long pants so my heels (our guide told us this is the imporant bit) were covered. I did bring socks with me as well just in case.

At other temples footwear is not an issue, except that all footwear (of every variety) must be removed before entering a Temple and make sure you don't point your feet at the Buddha statues at the front of the temple, feet should be tucked underneath you or to the back of you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Temples and Footwear

The dress code for the Grand Palace is because it is a Palace, yes there happens to be a temple inside but that is not why they insist on the correct clothing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temples and Footwear

No smelly feet allowed either :-)

7. Re: Temples and Footwear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:17