We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

I am considering driving from CR to CM.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? Which company would be best to hire the car from?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

Hi,

I've done this several times on different routes and I'd say the main road -110/109/118 is a very easy drive. The worst part is getting out of CR as the traffic can be quite slow on the 110 through the city and getting into CM - that does depend on where your hotel is located though.

I always use North Wheels and they have offices in both CR and CM and I've found them good to deal with. There are several other options though.

Cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

Like Paulo, we also hire from North wheels and to get us out of Chiang Mai and on to the correct road for Chiang Rai we hire a taxi, I go with the taxi and my husband follows, it's an easy and problem free way to get out of the city.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

Perhaps you should consider getting someone like Germsak (see guides on TA) My family found him to be excellent.

4. Re: Driving from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai... Easy? Advisable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:18