We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

A friend of mine watched a video on Thailand and it said that you can't wear skirts in temples, only pants.

I've always read that long skirts were fine.

What's the real scoop?

Thanks!

S G
Sheffield
Level Contributor
299 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Skirts are fine, just not short ones. A lot of the bigger temples will lend or sell sarongs to visitors if they're not dressed correctly, but if I'm wearing a short skirt or shorts I tend to carry a thin sarong in my bag just in case I pass a temple I want to look at. Same goes for vest tops - I carry a really thin little shrug cardigan I can pop on if needed.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 23:35
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Hi

Yes skirts can be worn in the temple but it should be below the knees. The only place that have strict rules is the Grand Palace and Wat phrakeaw ( in the sane compound ) that skirts has to be long. At the gate if the guards thinks your outfits somehow inappropriate he will ask you to rent skirts or sarong to cover up.

Cheers,

Centreville...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Thanks!!!

How long is long? Okay to show ankles? The skirts I'm planning on taking are longer than mid calf, but a few inches above ankle.

Maybe I'll be able to find a lightweight, cheap sarong when there

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Yes, it's ok to show your ankles, if your skirts are mid calf they'll be fine.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

Thanks so much!

6. Re: No skirts in temples? Just pants allowed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:20