We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Flights

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Domestic Flights

Hello- I will be travelling from Chicago to Bangkok at the end of February for 12 days. We will be going February 26-March 8th. I have booked hotels in Bangkok (Park Plaza Sukhumvhit); We then will fly to Chiang Mai (Staying at The Rim); then will fly to Krabi and stay at the Amari Vogue and back to Bangkok and home.

I was wondering if there are any recomendations on domestic flight carriers to fly as I know some domestic carriers nickel and dime you for baggage weight.

Please let me know if anything is recommended in general to do out there (tours/ food / nightlife etc).

Thanks in advance

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Flights

Hi,

For flights within Thailand check out Air Asia and Nok Air, both of which are budget airlines. Another option is Bangkok Airways which is usually more expensive.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Flights

I would recommend air asia, have flown bkk to krabi a couple of times. For your trip from bkk to chaing mai have you considered the sleeper train? Its a good experience. Don't forget on domestic flights your baggage is only approximately 20kg.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Flights

AIr Asia provides no free checked baggage allowance. A 20 kg bag costs 330 baht on each domestic sector when you prepay, but you can also choose to pay for other amounts like 15 or 40 kg. Nok Air provides 15 kg allowance and Bangkok Airways 20 kg - both allow you to buy more allowance.

There are no non-stop flights from Chiang Mai to Krabi. You either go via Bangkok or fly to Phuket and organize a car transfer (about 2.5 hours).

If you go via Bangkok and choose Air Asia or Nok Air which are point-to-point airlines, you will have to collect your bags in Bangkok (Don Mueang airport) and check them in again. If the incoming flight is badly delayed and you miss the next flights, you are just a no-show as far as the airline is concerned and they will make you buy new tickets.

Bangkok Airways will provide a proper flight connection, i.e. your bags will go through to Krabi and if the incoming flight is late, they will put you to a later flight as needed. The price will still be more than with the low-cost airlines, but it could very well be worth it, especially since Bangkok Airways provides free lounges also for economy class passengers.

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Flights

So, even if we fly back to bangkok early and then give say 3-4 hours in between flights that wouldn't be safe enough? How often is Air Asia delayed?

Thanks so much for the help

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Flights

3-4 hours between flights should be quite enough and Thai Air Asia does not appear to have any special problems with delays. However, Don Mueang Airport is not the most comfortable one in the world.

Since you seem to have preferred not to use the cheapest hotels, Bangkok Airways might be a choice meeting your expectations despite the somewhat higher prices.

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Flights

How much time total would you reccomend? Should I leave Chiang Mai early say at 8:30am and then arrive in Bangkok at around 9:45 and take my flight to Krabi at 1? 2? 3?

I just want to play it safe.

Thanks Again!

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Flights

Or do I even need that much time?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic Flights

If you want to play it safe, book the flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi on Bangkok Airways on a single ticket. They will not sell you an infeasible connection time and if the flight to Bangkok is delayed they will put you on the next available flight for no extra cost.

Your other flights are quite practical as non-stops on Air Asia or Nok Air, but for this one paying the premium of Bangkok AIrways would be worth it to avoid rechecking your baggage and to be sure that the connection will succeed.

Chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic Flights

Thanks for the recommendation but the difference In price is way too much, for me to find it beneficial. I think we are better taking a risk on the plane bein delayed more than 3 hours....I'm sure we won't be the only ones if that happens.

Thanks Again

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic Flights

Three hours in between flights at Don Muang is more than adequate. It's a small airport and things go pretty fast there. Use web check-in to avoid getting stuck at the end of a long line-up.

Personally I find Air Asia's pay as you go checked baggage policy very fair. If I'm traveling without checked baggage I'm not paying for someone else's 30 kilos.