We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying longer than 30 days

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying longer than 30 days

Hello, I am 18(South African) and I am planning to travel to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia next year(2014). I can get a visa on arrival in Thailand that allows me to stay for 30 days but what do I do If I want to stay longer? Should I apply for a visa at the Thai embassy in SA? Is it possible that the 30 days will be renewed when I leave Thailand and go to Vietnam for a few days? Also any additional information on things I should know will be appreciated.

I appreciate your feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

Each time you fly into Thailand, you will receive a 30 day visa waiver (at least for us with U.S. passports), so you could easily extend your time by visiting Cambodia and Vietnam and then returning to Thailand. Also from here at a Thai embassy one can get a 60 day or longer visa, so I assume the same or similar is available to you in SA. I would check out the Thai embassy website for the city nearest you. All the information should be there.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 16:09
Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

thaiembassy.org/pretoria/en/services/29707-T…

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

I have thoroughly read all the information on the Thai embassy in SA but they do not list anywhere, how long I can or should apply for. Should I just apply for 60 days and see what happens?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,179 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

Hi,

Read this link:

thaiembassy.org/pretoria/en/services/29707-T…

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

As a South African national, your're entitled to a free visa exemption each time you enter Thailand. This is NOT any kind of visa, especially not a Visa on Arrival which is something else entirely. If you arrive by air, you can stay 30 days. Land arrivals only get a 15-day stay. You can theoretically get as many of these exemptions as you need, but Thai Immigration might get inquisitive if you had a passport full of back to back exemptions.

The problem is that according to the regulations for exemptions you have to have "proof of onward travel" (let's call it POOT) within the 30-day time period. POOT is usually defined as a confirmed AIR ticket out of the country. Now, Thai Immigration almost never checks for this, but airline check-in agents do because it comes up on their Timatic database. Some carriers are lenient, but many comply strictly with the letter of the law because they're afraid of having to pay a stiff fine and transport you home for free. So, if the total length of your trip is more than 30 days and you DON'T have a visa OR POOT, you could be denied boarding.

One way to make the problem go away is just to book a cheap flight to Phnom Penh on Air Asia within your 30-day time frame. Another is to get a 60-day Tourist Visa from a Thai embassy or consulate. Don't forget that when you return to Thailand by land you will only get a 15-day exemption.

See: mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist…

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

Guys, isn't that what I told the OP in my post exempt the land crossing? The link I provided to the Thai embassy SA does answer the OP's questions. The easiest strategy as indicated above (twice) since the OP wishes to visit Cambodia and Vietnam, is to fly to one or both and receive another 30 visa waiver when he returns to Thailand, each time if he does it twice.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 17:31
Mentioned in this post
Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

hijacked advice, I'm from USA. living here half of every year. I don't mind taking a short trip every 30 days. last month I made a booboo.

using 3BB wireless always gets you disconnected, so after multiple attempts booking flights and hotels I had to go back paging one too many times being disconnected. in the long run ended up with different flights and hotel days. stupid me lalala.

so since that mistake there is a 3 day over stay for me. is it better to pay the fine or book a much more expensive trip to be safe. my main concern is I may end up on a black list or something similar.

for OP how many days u planning on staying?? with this maybe we can plan it right for u.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

I overstayed once by mistake and paid the fine. If I remember correctly it was 500 baht per day. That information should be readily available, and then you only have to determine if it is cheaper to pay the fine or to book a cheap flight. A visa extension can be gotten in country, but my understanding is that it can involve a long wait at the embassy.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

Awesome, thankyou so much. This has really helped. I am planing on getting a multi city ticket. I will fly to Bangkok and travel by train and taxis around Thailand for +- 25 days and then fly to Vietnam and travel around for about 18 days and then fly back to Thailand for a few days and from there I will either go to Cambodia or back to SA. I have checked flight costs for a multi city trip like this and it is super cheap so Im happy.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
10. Re: Staying longer than 30 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:20