We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

We are going to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in Oct-Nov and I have read conflicting things about appropriate clothing for women. Some things say capris, sandals and tee shirts that cover shoulders are fine, others say closed toe shoes, 3/4 lenght sleeves and covered ankles, real disagreement as to shorts. So what, I am confused as to what to bring. I know it will be hot, so I would like to bring light things and I do not want to pack more than I need. Would love some help with this. We are mainly going to be in Thailand and Vietnam

Thanks

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

Covered ankles in Thailand? Would so many Western men be living here if that was the case?!!

Maybe you are getting confused with the dress code for visiting the Grand Palace, which does require decent shoes, sleeves and no shorts. T shirts, sandals and shorts are perfectly fine 99% of the time.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

In temples you will need to cover your shoulders and need some better footwear (though you will enter the temple barefoot) then flip-flops. Other then that you can wear pretty much what ever you fancy. Well, at least as long as it is not too revealing.

In other words, simply dress reasonably and you will have no problems.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 23:55
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

Hi

Yes I think you're confused whir the dress code for Grand palace and Wat prakeaw. The grand place have a very strict dress rules. But in any temple you should still cover your shoulder and knees length shorts or skirts.

In other places you can wear pretty much anything appropriate to places you're visiting.

Cheers,

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

In Chiang Mai, Thailand (and I suspect most places with many tourists), I saw women in all sorts of clothing. I would avoid short shorts or very revealing clothes -- you probably aren't the type to wear this stuff anyway, if you're asking this question. Maybe opt for cropped pants or longer skirts, which I seem to remember more locals wearing. I wore long pants, tees, and dresses and always felt fine. As mentioned, bring a scarf or something to cover yourself in temples.

Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

Many thanks to all. As usual the tripadvisor community comes through. We are really looking forward to this trio

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

Irrespective of various dress codes you may want to wear loose clothing with long sleeves and pants to protect yourself against mosquito bites and sunburn. The sun is really much stronger than in Boston and unprotected skin gets burnt easily even on a cloudy day. Dengue fever is an ongoing problem in all of those countries. The only protection is covering up or using sunblock and repellents.

A good example are the colorful 'pajamas' that you see Cambodian women wearing also outdoors even in Phnom Penh.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

...and a word of warning for visiting Angkor Wat (assume it's on the Cambodia part of your itinerary) If you want to visit the Bakon (top level of AW) you MUST have covered shoulders/upper arms and covered legs to the knees. You will not be admitted if you are wearing singlet tops or short shorts. Also do not wear a skirt - the stairs are very steep and you would be providing a 'view' to the people going up behind you that you may not wish to ... get my drift!

Good advice from #6 regarding the strength of the sun - the lobster look is not a good one. Sunscreen on first then 20 min later apply our bug spray (and reapply often) - don't forget places like under the arches of your feet - mozzies love that bit of exposed skin.

cheers

helen

8. Re: confused as to what women should wear in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:19