We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Thailand, Bangkok / Koh Phangan

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Thailand, Bangkok / Koh Phangan

People probably get sick of these kind of questions but here goes.

I am travelling to Bangkok over the Christmas and new year period. Will be spending a few days there then traveling down for the full moon party on Koh Phangan and then back to Bangkok before flying back to the UK.

We have only booked flights as we have been told we should just book our hotels when we get there as we go along. Is this a good idea? seems a bit sketchy. Also if people could suggest a few areas to visit, I know this trip is going to be concentrated around the nightlife but would like to think I at least tried to see some of stuff on offer.

I was looking at bringing £2000 for a 2 week stay considering we don't have accommodation and can see the full moon party costing a bit. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Thailand, Bangkok / Koh Phangan

"we have been told we should just book our hotels when we get there as we go along" Who told you that?!

Basically you will not find any accommodation if you try and book when you get there and may indeed find that most places are already booked. This is the biggest party of the year and thousands of people descend on the island, some have to stay on Samui and speed boat it over on the night due to the lack of accommodation. Note that most accommodation on Koh Phangan will require a 5-7 night minimum stay (some as long as 10 nights over the Christmas and New Year period).

The Full Moon Party will probably be the cheapest part of your holiday, accommodation is expensive at this time of year as it's peak season. Also have you booked your transfers between Bangkok and Phangan (flights), if not you will need to pre book those too.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 01:41
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
2. Re: Trip to Thailand, Bangkok / Koh Phangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:17