We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Hi,

I will be arriving in Thailand and flying out of Thailand returning home exactly 30 days after I arrive so I just fall within the exemption period.

I want to visit Cambodia and Laos on this trip. Will there be any problems with re entry back into Thailand once I leave?

Also, once arriving in Laos and Cambodia, do I need to provide details of onward travel exiting each of these countries to get my tourist visa in a similar way in that you need to provide proof of onward travel from Thailand within the 30 day exemption period?

This is a backpacking trip so the itinerary is very loose at best as I just want to go where the wind takes me so my dates for leaving to head to Cambodia/Laos are yet to be determined and the duration of stay in each of the 2 countries I am unsure of yet.

Highly confused.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Each time you re enter Thailand you will get a new visa waiver stamp. 15 days for overland re entry & 30 days if re entry is by air.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Thanks. Is there a limit on the number of times I can leave Thailand and re-enter?

I am anticpating leaving Thailand no more than twice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

No limit.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

No limit, that does surprise me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Why are you surprised ?

Is there limits to the amount of visits you can make to France, Germany, Turkey etc ?

Why would Thailand have a limit of visits on a Euro country with no visa requirements ?

Edited: 07 October 2013, 20:03
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

If there is no limit then you could effectively stay in Thailand almost indefinitely subject to doing a visa run within each 30 day period(assuming you do it by Air)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,610 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

'The restriction has already been abolished so tourists can now visit Thailand as often as they want, provided that they obtain 30 day Visa on Arrival at airports and 15 day Visa on Arrival if they are traveling via land borders.'

Edited: 07 October 2013, 21:07
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

They are hoping that the cost and incovenience will deter the the long stayers...even if you can afford it, the cost of flying in and out every 30days does add up. If you cant afford it, imagine doing a border run every 2 weeks.

In your case you should be fine, note that you will require visas to enter Cambo and Laos.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Yes, you are entitled to a visa exemption each time you enter Thailand. In theory at least, there's no limit on the number of times you could do this. One of the reason they cut the exemption down to 15 days for entries by land was to make it more difficult for the "visa runners" who would previously just make a routine monthly trip to the Cambodian border. Since there's a fair amount of expense involved in flying in to Thailand, that's reduced the numbers of people abusing this privilege and it makes at least some of them get proper visas.

Still, I think you probably would face some questioning if you presented a passport full of back to back exemptions, at least to establish that you have a source of income that does not involve employment in Thailand. Otherwise, there's really nothing wrong with staying a lengthy time on exemptions as long as you're willing to go through the expense and hassle of making a border run every 15 or 30 days.

If you're planning to do that, some sort of visa is probably a better idea. For example, if you can get a double-entry tourist visa, you could theoretically make the first entry for 60 days, extend that by 30 days at an Immigration office, make a border run and come back for a second 60-day stay and extend THAT by another 30 days for a grand total of 6 months. Again, you may have to explain where you're money is coming from when you go for that second extension.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 21:59
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,773 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Exempt Question - Leaving Thailand and Re-Entry

Just be aware that the link quoted by Dodger in #5 is from a commercial website, not from the official Thai Embassy website. It refers to rues for Visa on Arrival and confuses them with Visa Waivers (Exemption) which is not the same thing. I found discrepancies when I cam across a reference to this site and the reference to:

"Beyond 90 Days

Visitors can now enjoy Thailand more

A dose of good news awaits tourists—following the new regulation set by Thai Immigration, visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period."

Since we return for 5 months every year and have to do a visa run at 90 days, this seemed to be welcome news. On following it through and in consultation with the Royal Thai Embassy in Hull UK and their revised documentation at http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/ (updated 01.09.2013) I discovered that is in fact becoming more not less difficult and that instead of being able to make a personal appointment to renew our Non Immigrant Type 0 (for retired people in receipt of a pension) our application now has to be approved first by the Thai Embassy in London. I also followed the On-line chat link on the website and was given misleading statements on financial requirements that contradicted those in the Royal Thai Consulate information. When I challenged it, the on-line discussion was discontinued.

There are many sites that give the appearance of being official sites when in fact they are commercial sites which offer to obtain the right visa for you - for a fee of course that is more expensive than doing it yourself.