We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money for Food in Thailand

Ithaca
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money for Food in Thailand

Hey all,

I will be backpacking through Thailand in January for 13 nights. Specifically, I will be traveling to Bangkok (5 nights), Chaing Mai (3 nights), and Phuket (5 nights). I have already booked my travel and hostel accommodations, but was wondering how much money I should set aside for food? I don't really want to go to any high-end restaurants, but am looking for a light breakfast, lunch, and a sizable dinner. Wouldn't mind mixing my food options between street vendors and low/mid-price restaurants. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as any advice or tips for a solo female backpacker.

Thanks!!

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
240 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

I'd suggest that Phuket will be the most expensive for food, so I'll cover that one off and leave others to advise you on the rest.

Budget the following:

Light breakfast - 100 baht

Lunch (assuming a fried rice) - 100 baht

Evening - 200 baht.

The above won't include any drinks and, are dependant on where you go. This is just for simple restaurants on the street, but I don't mean hawker stalls.

Location may impact price, so post what town in Phuket you're staying and maybe I can give suggestion of where to eat.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

for Bangkok check food courts in any mall will have huge options at affordable prices. under a 100 baht. street food goes from 10 baht a skewer of protein, from 25 baht for papaya salad,from 15 baht BBQ chicken and and only 5 baht for sticky rice which you just ask for its not displayed. far more options at these great prices and going higher.

if u want to get your drink on cheap u can do easily from around 50 baht a large bottle beer depending on choice on local beers. juice boxes at 18 baht for the good brands, soda 10 baht small bottle coke.

u can dine Indian for under 10$ per person and find places like Took Lae Dee in the Foodland grocery stores for western style food for under 3$ and up.

one more option is the instant noodles and jok. about 50 cents ready to go and u can add an egg for 5 more baht. bottle water 7 baht and up.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

I would avg out $20 a day. There will be days when you spend less and days more. To be honest there will be absolutely no way that you will be on a purely Thai streetfood diet for the entire trip. Plus at some of the nicer/higer end food courts ie FoodLoft you can easily spend that. Bonus is if you dont use all the $20 a day budget you will have $$ for something nice at he end of the trip ;)

Edited: 11 October 2013, 00:23
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

I personally budget $20 per day and rarely spend ted lot. However, I drink very little alcohol, which can quickly add to your daily costs.

Canowindra, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

In phuket I suggest banzaan markets for dinner from about 6pm on... You can get anything here but for example chicken, some veg and noodle 35 baht, some cake or deserts 20-40 baht a fruit smoothie 30 baht.... In my opinion better food than the restraunts and obviously cheaper too!

6. Re: Money for Food in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 06:20