We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Hi everyone how are you? I've come to TA for advise and help cos I know there are do many fantastic and well travelled people out there in TA land. Hubby and I are off to Thailand in just over a month, we're booked in 4 nights Bangkok 5 nights patong. I'm feeling pretty relaxed about our time in Phuket but am feeling overwhelmed about our time in Bangkok. I don't know if I'm trying to pre plan too much or learn too much before we get there but I feel I'm at a point where I don't know what to do where to go etc. there are just sooooo many options of things to see and do, places to eat etc, then with so many different options to google search, lots of options for maps. Am I stressing too much and trying to prepare/pre learn too much info? Is Bangkok the type of place you're better off getting to and learn as you go? Doing all this from a little iPhone in hand maybe makes it a little tougher as I don't know how to use it properly and save the info I want lol. Is there a map people LOVE and swear by. Should I get my hands on one before I get there, maybe if I had a nice big map in front of me instead of a little map in my phone would make things clearer to me?? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We are booked in near the asoke and sukhumvit mrt and bts if that helps with any advise. Thanks in advance

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,874 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Get yourself a Nancy Chandler map - it can be bought online. I have been to Bangkok many times, but when I got the NC map it all suddenly made sense!

I would recommend you do some planning before you arrive or you'll find that your 4 days have flown by and you have just "wandered" - very enjoyable but you'll have missed some amazing sights.

Have a fab time.

Trisha

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Hi

Don't stress yourself too much. Bangkok is very easy to get around best to pick the hotel next to BTS ( sky train). The transport are much cheaper in Bangkok than Phuket. Make sure you read FAQs in the right hand side on Bangkok forums of things to do and see as well as scams.

Under FAQs there the lists of tour guides if you wan to use one to do the urban tour or to do the day trip to outside Bangkok the like of kanchanaburi or Ayuthaya etc.

good luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Hi Patricia,

Don't worry about your time in Bangkok. If I can handle Bangkok on my own with my 'senior moments', then you're home and hosed!

First of all, you've chosen your accommodation wisely. Make use of the MRT and the BTS because, due to the horrendous traffic, it beats sitting in a cab for hours. Have a look at obtaining a Rabbit card each which you can preload with money so you don't have to find change and queue for tickets every time you want to catch the sky train. You can't use it for the MRT so you'll have to buy individual tickets in order to take that. You can buy the Rabbit card at the Asoke station.

Also, have a look at the recommended restaurants and things to do here on this Forum and make up a rough itinerary of what you'd like to do on each day. You don't have to stick to it rigidly, however it will give you an idea of what you'd like to accomplish in the four days you're in Bangkok. I'm going for 17 days in December (11 days in Bangkok) and I've done this for each day, but I'll shuffle them around to suit the weather, my mood and my energy levels.

You'll never see everything you want to in four days so just choose what appeals to you the most. I've probably spent a total of 3 weeks in Bangkok so far and still won't complete my list of things to see during my 11 days this next trip.

I really don't think that you can read too much or over plan as long as you're not too rigid in your planning so that you get disappointed if you have to make alternative arrangements at some stage.

Finally, I think that Sweetpea has given you the very best advice of all and that is to read up on the scams because they can be time and money wasters.

Just relax and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Please come back to us when you get home and tell us all about it.

Best wishes,

Sue

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

You have been given some great advice and I am sure it will all fall into place.

I would really suggest that you get onto a laptop at some stage as like you said, trying to do everything from a phone is just too tricky. There is so, so much helpful information that it is well worth going to a library or a friends place to spend an hour or two checking it all out. All of the info listed on the full site on the right hand side will be invaluable.

Once you have read some JBR's (Just Back Reports) that should give you an idea of how other travellers have spent their time in Bangkok and then you can do the research on some of the places they have visited to see if they interest you. Hiring a guide for a day might be a good idea if you want to make the most of your time.

Have a wonderful trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

Thank you all Sooo much for your valuable advise, I really appreciate it. I like the advise to plan out a few places of interest but to not expect to do too much as we have only 4 days there. We fly in late on a Saturday night so will check in to our hotel and if we feel up to it go for a little wander but most likely shower and bed. We've contemplated checking out the chatuchak market on the Sunday morning and then in the afternoon have a guide, Nook picking us up for a trip out to the railway market, amphawa to see the floating market and then a firefly boat tour, after finding out the Sunday is loi krathong I'm extra excited about this trip, we have a day free on Monday and then Tuesday have a early morning full day tour booked then we check out Wednesday lunch for flight to Phuket, so realistically we only have Monday as a full free day. Wow writing that down has just put that into perspective that I have only really one day spare so there's no point in stressing about trying to see ten million things. If there are say 3 MUST do things what would people suggest during the day? And what area has the yummiest night food markets? Thank you all once again for you're responses and advise, I truly appreciate it.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

China town for the night market food.

Must do IMHO

1. Grand palace and emeral Buddha ( in the same compound)

2. Wat Arun ( temple of dawn ) and wat Pho

2. Maung Boran and Erawan musuem ( same route )

2. Take a boat rides up and down the river and in to canal.

3. If you like shopping hit the malls all shopping malls close at 22.00 hour maybe do the temples and grand palace back to hotel for freshen up around 4-5pm then head to the mall for dinner in food court or many restaurants in the mall or head to Asiatique.

7. Re: Overwhelmed about first Bangkok trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 06:36