We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July – but there’s a catch

So I plan to travel to Thailand for 3 weeks in July of 2014 – but here’s the catch. I’ll be spending the first week solo, and then I’ll meet my girlfriend at the Bangkok airport, and we’ll travel together for 2 more weeks. I don’t want to hit any of the “must see” sites solo, as I would rather save those for after she arrives.

Having said all of that – I would like to back into the right itinerary by looking at it this way:

A. What is a great 2 week itinerary for (not too much time spent in transit) with “must see” sights/destinations for 2 people who love food, culture, and want to divide some time between beautiful inland landscapes, history, and a bit of beach time?

B. Prior to that 2 week itinerary, what is a good 1 week solo itinerary if the aim is beach time, relaxation, and a total disconnect from western reality? I’m strongly considering flying right back out of Bangkok the morning after I get there and heading to someplace like Samui? Am I on the right track? Should I spend that week of solo time in one general location, or should I split it up on the way back to meet my girlfriend in Bangkok?

Keep in mind that we’re going in July – so weather may affect some of your suggestions. Also, I realize that we’re limited on time here, so I’m fine with synthesizing it down to a few key cities, as opposed to running ourselves ragged. Thanks!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

For the 2 weeks:

Bangkok

Chiang Mai

Samui

Why not just go to somewhere like Hua Hin for a few days and hang out, it's a nice easy town to relax for a week solo and is only a couple of hours south of Bangkok by taxi/car/bus/train. Spend a few days in Bangkok as well without visiting the main sights.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

Thanks so much for the input, Cassnu. So for the 2 week trip, the only thing set in stone is that my girlfriend will fly into Bangkok. From there - what order would you visit Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Sanui? For that matter, what would be the better options in terms of getting from one destination to the other?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

If you want to do some shopping then I would leave Bangkok until the end, although Chiang Mai is great for shopping too! So I would fly to Chiang Mai then fly to Samui, but unfortunately flights direct to Samui are pretty expensive so if you are on a budget you can fly back to Bangkok and either overnight train to Surat Thani with bus and ferry transfers or fly to Surat Thani with the same transfers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

My husband and I are going to Thailand for 3.5 weeks this July. We have planned an ambitious itinerary, however we wanted to see as much as possible during our stay.

Our itinerary is as follows:

Bangkok 4 days

Kanchanaburi 3 days

Chiang Mai 5 days

Phuket and surrounding area 4 days

Kho Phi Phi 3 days

Krabi 4 days

There seems to be amazing things to do in each place! This itinerary would be better suited for people who don't just want to lay on a beach the whole time and don't mind the travel.

I hope it helped!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,800 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

"....good 1 week solo itinerary if the aim is beach time, relaxation, and a total disconnect from western reality? "

Catch the train further south than Hua Hin to Prachuap Khirikhan, a delightful real style Thai seaside town with superb fresh from the sea fish and seafood at amazing low prices. Lovely beach adjacent to it accessed through an airforce base. Sunbeach Guesthouse highly recommended - see http://sunbeach-guesthouse.com/prajuap.htm

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

Good call Arandora, loved PKK.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,800 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

We found it thanks to you! Now looking for somewhere similar between Hua Hin and Chumphon to spilt our drive from Bangkok to Khao Lak when we return next November.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

What about Bang Saphan?

9. Re: Need 3 week Thailand itinerary for July-but there’s a catch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 06:35