We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauy Thai Boxing Classes

Noosa
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mauy Thai Boxing Classes

Hi - my 17 year old son and I are planning a trip to Thailand during the Christmas School holidays. He wants to do a two week Mauy Thai camp and I would like to relax, read trashy novels, eat yummy food, maybe a cooking lesson or two, and rest up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are the camps live in, or is he able to go to one during the day then back to me at night? I hear Phuket is a goer, but as I am a slightly older traveller, am not keen on wild parties every night! I like boutique type hotels - ideally with a pool and definitely with airconditioning!

Any input gratefully accepted.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauy Thai Boxing Classes

http://muaythaicampsthailand.com/ seems to list quite a few camps in different parts of Thailand. Some offer live-in accommodation but many don't.

Another common characteristic appears to be that the training does not run all day but it is split into morning and afternoon sessions. This makes perfect sense since the training is strenuous and it is better to avoid the hottest part of the day when the training happens on premises without air conditioning. However, this means that the son will be at loose ends quite a large part of the day, so you might be less concerned if he is able to return to home base while not actually training.

On resort islands like Phuket or Koh Samui local transportation is quite expensive and shuttling to the camp and back twice a day will easily add 1000 baht per day to your costs. Hiring a scooter would be much cheaper, but it is possible only if your son is already a licensed and solid motorbike rider. Be sure that his travel insurance will cover motorbike accidents. This is not a given and motorbike accidents are frequent in Thailand which is one reason for limitations in cover...

If you are going this Christmas you are already quite late with your accommodation bookings. The best properties may already be full and you obviously need to find some place that is also not too far from the Muay Thai camp.

Since water sports on an idyllic beach do not appear to be high on your list of activities, it might be that Pattaya is quite suitable for your needs. There are lots of accommodation options so you should still be able to find something suitable within your budget. Several Muay Thai camps are accessible with the baht buses, so transportation will be 10-30 baht (one way). Despite Pattaya's reputation as a party town, North Pattaya and Jomtien Beach areas are quiet enough. (My mother is in her seventies and loves to go every winter to Pattaya.) Plenty of good food in all kinds of cuisines. There are also quite a number of activities that should be interesting for you, the son or both of you.

An alternative with even more cultural interest would be Chiang Mai. The local transportation is not as cheap as in Pattaya, but way cheaper than in Phuket.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 12:19
Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Jomtien Beach
Jomtien Beach
2,815 Reviews
Pattaya, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,971 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauy Thai Boxing Classes

A new Muay Thai Camp has recently been established in Khao Lak, which is only just over an hour north from Phuket Airport and is certainly not the place for wild parties but is just the place for you "to relax, read trashy novels, eat yummy food, maybe a cooking lesson or two, and rest up" whilst your son enjoys the residential facilities at this excellent camp. You may even be able to stay there yourself and laze by the pool and enjoy the food at its own restaurant. Or else there is plenty of choice of accommodation in Khao Lak nearer to or beachfront with all the facilities you want. See this topic from the Khao Lak Forum tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… where you will find plenty of information on Things to Do in and around Khao Lak in the Top Question FAQs.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
503 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
3. Re: Mauy Thai Boxing Classes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:18