We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand Honeymoon

5 posts
Save Topic
Thailand Honeymoon

Hello forum, long time reader first time poster :)

I'm struggling finalising my itinerary for our honeymoon to thailand and was hopping for some feedback

We are both mid 20's want to get the most out of everything, want lots of relaxing but not too isolated from the nightlife and activites.

Date Nov20-Dec10 (long honeymoon woohoo!)

Budget $7000AUD

Note: flights to phuket already booked (arrive 6:30pm local time)

My thoughts werenas follows

Patong beach (short distance from Bangla Road, but not right in the action)

3Nights -- considering Burasari Resort for price location and comfort

Koh phi phi 5Nights - we want to enjoy the night life but also be able to get a goods night sleep away from all the noise

conidering the following

Phi phi island cabana resort

Arayaburi Resort

P.P. palm tree resort

Koh Lanta 3Nights

Wanting a peaceful beach with beautiful views to relax

Considering long beach, klong khong beach, klong nin beach

Not settled on any resorts yet

Koh Samui 7Nights

Want lots of relaxing beaching but still access to nightlife activites tours trips

Leaning to chaweng beach or bo phutbeach

Again no resorts considered

Bangkok 2Nights -- mainly for shopping (she will kill me if I dont give her some focus on shopping lol)

Looking at a fewbplaces in Siam area near MBK

Nothing has been locked in except the flights to phuket. Really appreciate some feedback as this is my first overseas trip and our honeymoon to boot. Would like some feedback on the plan and possibly resort suggestions.

Thanks all in advance, want it to be perfect :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

Steven I am a big Koh Samui lover but it is on the opposite side of Thailand to Phuket and there has different weather patterns. November/December is monsoon season and while you may be lucky, it is the only time of the year that I wouldn't consider travelling there. I would instead spend your time on the Andaman side to have the best chance of good weather. Alternatively if you are looking at something different have a look at spending 4 nights in Chiang Mai which is totally different to the beach areas and an amazing destination in itself.

Happy planning!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

Hi

JustAllie is reight November - December best to stick to the west /andamn coast for the chance of better weather. In koh Samui you will be in the middle of rainy season.

In Phuket / Patong beach Burasai is very good property close to everything yet vey peaceful once insides the resort.

If you have that much time I would suggest head to northern of Thailand use the time you set aside for koh Samui.

My itinerary would read like this

Bangkok 2-3 nights beginning of your trip

Fly to Chaingmai stay 5-6 nights

Fly to Phuket direct from Chaingmai.

From Phuket ferry to koh phi phi - ferry to koh Lanta - ferry to Ao nang stay one night - fly back to Bangkok via krabi airport stay 1-2 nights fly back home.

Note : koh phi phi, Ao nang, koh Lanta all are in krabi peovicne

Note : Chaingmai has so much to see and do. Chiangmai is full of history, culture and scenery

Note : Bangkok is a must

If you like to stay in. Siam area

Siam @ Siam hotel highly recommended with infinity pool look over the city

Pathumwan princess adjacent to MBK mall

Novotel Siam

Siam kempinski

Cheers,

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

@JustAllie, thanks for your suggestions, if I'm to avoid Koh Samui and want to add a different destination with great beaches and similar atmosphere where would you suggest?

@Sweetpea, thanks also for your great feedback. As for my itinerary i want to leave Bangkok for last mainly so i can do all the extra shopping at the end to avoid lugging everything around.

Also my flights to Phuket are already booked (one way).

As per question to Allie, any suggestion for a similar location to that of Koh Samui?

Appreciate the suggestion about Chaing Mai but i think we will leave that for another trip around Cambodia Vietnam and northern Thailand

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

In that case I can suggest two differ areas you might like to check out Khao lak.

Khao lak in phang Nga province north of Phuket by car transfers will take just over an hour. If you do Khao lak you can leave it to last before fly back to Bangkok.

Phuket - phi phi - koh Lanta ferry back to mainland krabi and by car transfer from krabi to Khao lak - Khao lak back to Phuket airport back to Bangkok.

Or once you done with Phuket - koh phi phi - koh Lanta fly to Bangkok get private car transfers with ferry ( just over 5 hours )to koh Chang. Or fly from Phuket to Trat via Bangkok with ferry to koh Chang.

From koh Chang back to Bangkok.

Khao lak probably more convenient to get to as they are the same coast with Phuket and all the islands in your lists. Khao lak are more laid back chill out with lots of things to do and see.

Koh Chang are also laid back quieter less well known than those koh phi phi or koh lanta.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

Awesome ill definitely take that all into consideration. The other half is dying to go to Koh Samui, she says even if we get a few nice days out of the 7 she doesn't care as long as she can visit the island :P

I wish I had 3 months to do Thailand there is just too many places to visit and too much amazing things we want to see.

As for resort ideas to my itinerary, any suggestions for the areas on our list?

Still undecided and haven't booked yet, I really want to have everything booked by this week.

Also finally (sorry so many questions coming to mind but this is such a helpful forum) Do we book all the tours/activities/day trips while there or should that be done from here also?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

Now you're talking :-)

regarding koh Samui if she's said she doesn't mind about the possible risks of occasions rains and rough sea then I would say go for it. My husband and go there post Xmas and new year also but we don't do anything except relax so rains, hails or shines it doesn't matter for us.

If you're really want to do koh Samui then fly from Bangkok to Phuket follow with all the islands on your list. From koh Lanta head to Ao Nang beach you might have to stay over night here. Fly from krabi to koh Samui by Bangkok airways. Bangkok airs is sole airlines that fly this route and only one flight daily and @ 12. So safe side do thing stay get yourself over night for flight. Or you can go bus and ferry from krabi to koh Samui but this will take you hours to reach koh Samui. Save cost but not traveling time.

Do you have budget for your hotel ? For the mean time have a look here www.sawadee.com/

In koh Samui, bophut beach are good with plenty of up market restaurants and bars as well as famous Friday night walking street in fisherman village. If you want night life you will need to head to chaweng central for that.

I think south chaweng might suits you away from busy part with 20-25 mins walk to central if party needed. South chaweng the beach are nicer and plenty of bars and restaurants both on beach and on the main chaweng beach road. Again budget per night then I can help you narrow it down. Best to look at the website www.sawadee.com/ make short listed it helps.

Regrading tours and activity wait until you get there plenty of agent and tour operator you can book with. Or you can book with your hotel tour desk .Unless in Phuket if you want to get on the famous boat tour the like of Phuket sail tour then book ahead.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 08:39
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

@ sweetpea

Appreciate the tip for flight from krabi to koh samui, depending where on koh lanta we are to be staying, leaning towards long beach at the moment, and how long it takes to get to the airport will definatelty look at that overnight option.

Budget for the whole trip would like to stay under $7000. I worked out the flights and internal travel costs return to be overestimating at $2000 and putting aside $2000 or so for spending money should leave around $3000 for accommodation.

Im looking at luxury budget bookings, 4-5 star all the way (honeymoon offcourse ^_^). So roughly $150 a night average for each stop. Some over some under. But for Koh Samui, since we are risking some rain days I want to make sure the resort is self sustained yet still has the locality to enjoy a bit of everything.

Thinking maybe staying 2 places in Koh Samui 3-4 nights each, in the north eastern corner, bo phut up to the peninsular where six senses is on the map. Close to lots and not too far from the airport.

Thought?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

I think you will need to overnight in krabi ( Ao Nang ) for the flight to koh Samui. From koh Lanta ferry to Ao nang. From Ao nang to krabi airport is roughly 30 mins.

I would against moving around in koh Samui though. Koh Samui is just a small island. The road that go around the island only take 2 hours by car nothing too far to go. From airport ( you will love the airport, the most beautify airport I have ever seen) to bophut or to chaweng only take 10 mins.

The resort in bophut beach

Hansar

Zazen

Anantara Boohut

These reosrts are walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants in fisherman village.

You might find Sixsense are more isolated not much of things around.

Also have a look in Cheongmon beach

Sala Samui villas

Maung Samui villas and suits

These two resorts are only 5 mins by car or chaweng and 10 mins to bophut plenty of places to eat and drinks.

In koh Lanta Sri Lanta resort

In koh phi phi , Zealova, Holiday Inn or Outtriggers resort

Have a look and see what you think !!

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

Definitely I will look into those resorts and see how the budget handles it. Thanks again so much for the detailed help you have provided. Makes things so much clearer

Time now to buckle down check the resorts and BOOK!

If anything else comes to mind I'll reply to this thread or open a new one.

Thanks again sweatpea. Your amazing. Looking so forward to this trip even more now.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand Honeymoon

You're welcome :)

Give me a shout if help needed !