We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Around Thailand

Melbourne
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Around Thailand

Just wanted some feedback on flying into Singapore and either hiring a car or getting a bus, train or taxi and finding my way up to Phuket and then flying over to Koh Samui.

Is this possible, is it safe, can i get accommodation along the way or should i book ahead..?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Around Thailand

You want to take a taxi from Singapore to Phuket? 1,400km :)? Hire car companies don't usually allow their car to cross borders but you could spilt the journey into several stages.

Check out http://www.seat61.com for details on the train ride, that would be a good choice.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Around Thailand

It is safe. Common precautions that you would take at home will likely protect you from crime. Crime exists in SE Asia, but it is easily avoided by most travelers. Control your alcohol consumption. Keep an eye on your property. If it does not feel right then it is a good idea to get out of the situation. Yes, crime exists, but it is easily avoided.

As far as booking ahead, I always do. If you are going in the high season, it is probably a good idea. Other times you can probably get away with not booking ahead. The one time I listened to my wife and did not book ahead, I regretted. That was only one time, but now I book ahead.

You will probably have a hard time renting a car in Singapore and not returning it there. Bus, train, or a car with driver will work better if you do not want to return to Singapore. Air travel is another option.

3. Re: Driving Around Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 13:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Around Thailand

LOL. TA is not a employment agency.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 12:52
5. Re: Driving Around Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:21