We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Hi every1, Hoping for some advice lovely people. We r arriving in Bangkok on the 13th of Nov. I really would like 2 get 2 the festival of loi krathong by that weekend in chaing mai. Do the trains get booked up quickly? Should i get a hotel near the train station as soon as i get 2 Bangkok and risk hoping we could still get a sleeper train within a couple of days or should i book our tickets through 1 of these agencies who deliver to your hotel and would they deliver to the out skirts of Bangkok say minburi. Also I know you can email the train company to reserve the train tickets and you can pick them up at the station but I also hear they are very relaxed about emailing you back and not sure i want to risk this, has anyone had any experiences with doing this or the other agencies? I don't really want to go into Bangkok just hang out at a hotel until i can get 2 the train station and catch a train to chaing mai. Thankyou for any advice :)

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Bad news comes in pairs for you I guess. First, the trains to Chiangmai are basically shut down right now for track repair. It was supposed to be finished by 1 November but was just extended to 1 December. You can take the train a part of the way, but then must get off and board a minivan for rest of trip to Chiangmai. An unpleasant 2 hours or so I believe. Works in reverse for return trip. Hardly anyone using trains right now. Better to fly on one of the economy airlines. Very cheap and only 45 mins.

The second bad news is due to a Budhist high-ranking monk's recent death, the whole country is in mourning and the Loy Krathrong festivals have been postponed from the 17th until after the period of mourning is completed. I think that's around 15 December. Loy Krathong will be after that sometime.

Sorry.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 19:35
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Check other threads about loy krathong. It's still on 17 November, but not with the usual pomp, just a little subdued...

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Thankyou so much for your replies, what a bummer. I knew that the train line was closed but didn't realize it had been extended. I did look at flights but they were a little bit expensive but i will look again, or maybe a sleeper coach though dont know if I want a 12-15 hr bus journey. Then if the loy krathong festivities are going to be a little subdued is it actually worth going to chaing mai for it? We are flying to vietnam on the 23th of nov and never being to chaing mai before, thought it would be a brilliant time to visit but maybe we will wait till feb wen we are back in thailand and just stay in bangkok for loy krathong. I guess if this is the case the riverside would be a good place to stay?! Thankyou :)

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

There's a new announcement today in Bnagkok Post that Loy Krathong plans can continue now on 17th. Hre's the article.

bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/376938/loy-krat…

Edited: 29 October 2013, 12:36
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

Ah thankyou so much, i guess the question now is either to spend the extra on getting a flight to chaing mai as they were a little bit more as expected before loy krathong or suffering a long bus journey! Right back to the research again to weigh up the options, at least I know the train isnt an option now :)

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

The economy airlines liek Nok air are pretty cheap. The yfly out of Don Muang airport in Bangkok. Just google a list of domestic airlines in Bangkok. Air Asia is another one.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

yes thankyou, iv used both airlines before. Just looked and can get a flight around £50 from both which i guess isnt bad just before loy krathong and a bit cheaper to fly back to bangkok a week later. So really i suppose it could be worth it to see chaing mai and loy krathong there even if it is not as big as normal. Just have to weigh up if I want to go over budget for the week going to chaing mai rather than stay in bangkok for a week before we fly to vietnam on the 23rd. Thanx for ur advise :)

8. Re: bangkok to chaing mai train for loi krathong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18