We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel security

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel security

Hi all, I recently read in a different travel forum (maybe Travelfish or LP, can't remember) that you should have little padlocks on your suitcase to ensure things don't get stolen from your room (I guess by hotel personnel, etc...), and also to be very careful about making sure your door locks properly.

...maybe I am naive, but this came as a surprise to me. We plan on staying in mid-range hotels (e.g. Loy LaLong in Bangkok, Baan Orapin in CM...) and will keep our valuables (passport, money) in the hotel safe, as many TA-ers advise. I have not read or heard many horror stories about safety in Thailand.

Other than the aforementioned and an iPad, I will not have anything terribly valuable with me. That said, should I keep the iPad locked up somewhere when I am not in the room? I don't intend to carry it around with me. Or is it better to leave it at home and not tempt the fates?

Thanks all in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel security

I never had any problems. I usually leave my valuables, passport/cash etc, in the room safe and everything else laying around.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel security

Do whatever makes you most comfortable. i put my passport and money in the safe and leave everything else (laptop, ipad, ipod etc) in the room. Never had anything stolen but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel security

Hi, same as above, always use the room safe for cash and passports camera etc. Some room safes are large enough for your ipad. We have never had a problem just leaving it in the room.

I suppose when you do heaps of research into your accommodation you get a feel if the place is safe and reliable or not. I haven't come accross much of that in the hotel I research.

cheers

Viv

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel security

Thank you all, very helpful - duh, I just got that we can expect to have our own safe in our room?? I had thought it was a safe at the reception desk in most places - but in our own room is even better. Thanks again for all your quick and helpful replies!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel security

We have never had a problem leaving money and passports in the hotel room safes and if we take an ipad or the safe isn't big enough to put our camera in during dinner we leave it in our suitcase which we just lock in the normal way and have never had anything touched.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel security

Also, it's a good idea to read the hotel reviews as you can bet if anyone has ever had something taken from their room they will definitely write about it in their review.

santa barbara, ca
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel security

good ideas, Chrella - thanks!!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel security

I lock valuables in the room safe and purchases in my suitcase. Having stayed at Baan Orapin a number of times I can say things are safe however most stealings come from an opportunity so why tempt fate by leaving valuables lying around the room.

9. Re: Hotel security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:18