We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying your valuables and money

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
carrying your valuables and money

Hi, need some advise having never been to Thailand before. Is it safe to just carry a hand bag or back pack with camera purse etc in it?

Also spending money..shall we change it when there and have some cash and some traveler cheques?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrying your valuables and money

Change your money when you arrive. Don't change it in the U.K. before departure. Travelers checks are good back-up. As for purse and backpack, you are no more likely to be relieved of them in Thailand than in U.K., America or Europe. Always best to be safe and alert and not carry anything that is not essential. I wear a camera on my belt when i take it, use a money belt, and prefer zippered pockets. Nothing is 100% safe, and it is best to use room safes to store valuables rather than carrying them around. The money issue is easier: You will get better rates caning your GBP in Thailand than at home. Have a good trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrying your valuables and money

Hi, when I am travelling I have a small bag which I strap across my body. I put money and wipes and camera in it. We dont strap on a packpack unless we are going on a tour.

My husband has cargo shorts with a few pockets that are buttoned or velcroed with his money in the pockets

I always exchange a $100 or so to the Baht so when we arrive we have cash to pay for taxis and extras till I find a kiosk money exchange.

cheers

Viv

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carrying your valuables and money

Hi

I'm with both above change your money once arrive in Thailand. Change small amount at the airport for taxi and first day or two. Once in hotel keep them in room safe. Change money daily as needed. When we our and about we always split money between us. My husband has man bag with hidden packet for some money hidden but he always put his wallet in front pocket never back pocket.

Yes always tissues, wet wipe, sunscreen in my bag too.

Make sure you make a photo copy of your passport to take with you when you out and about.,leave you passport in room safe.

Happy holiday

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carrying your valuables and money

I was also wondering this question, sweetpea (and others) what kind of bag do you suggest carrying for when we are out sightseeing? A regular purse, a cross-body bag/purse, a backpack? I've read many posts suggesting carrying a money belt, but I also will need a bag to carry water, tissues, phone, camera, etc. Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrying your valuables and money

I carry a cross body bag as it fits a water, some cash, the camera, leaves my hands free and is also harder to snatch if someone was inclined (to be clear I have never had that happen).

Mr PugHugger found the money belts made him super sweaty in the waist area so gave up on it pretty quickly.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carrying your valuables and money

Please take the time to read the threads I have linked too below. They serve as a timely reminder about carrying valuables and the need to be vigilant and minimalist.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5238…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k5522…

Cheers

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carrying your valuables and money

I had a cross body bag and found that to be good. Easy for you to get to your money and camera etc. and it leaves your hands free. Just take the same precautions you would at home.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carrying your valuables and money

What do people think of stuffing money down your bra? I've noticed a few people say they do this. I would be concerned this would be considered disrespectful to the Royal family? Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carrying your valuables and money

It might be a bit awkward getting your money out when you want to buy something!!!!!!!!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carrying your valuables and money

Sure I agree - and just to be clear - I am not a cash in bra kind of person - it was more of a musing! But not only awkward, surely its a bit weird for whoever you are paying too! Especially if you are hot and sweaty....