We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Cannock, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Hello I am desperate for some help and advice. im a 30 year old male and Me and my girlfriend wanted a Christmas holiday this year and after some rave reviews and some advice from friends we decided on Thailand! We had a good look into it and booked everything. Unfortunately now we have sadly split up, and shes booked to go away the same time to see her family in boston. A friend said he would give me some money for her ticket which I paid for. But unfortunately Turkish airlines will not change the name or refund me for the ticket! So im left with 2 options. 1: to scrap the holiday all together and just take the £2400 loss its cost. as ive never been to Thailand and never travelled alone. along with spending Christmas and new year all by myself. or 2: Do I go it alone and just go in debt and try and enjoy myself? I have never been Thailand is it safe to travel alone? how much spending money will I need? will I meet people out there to share costs of boats and taxis etc and to party with?

all hotels and flights are booked.

itinerary so far is fly out 21st December. Spend 2 nights in Bangkok on kao san road. Then fly to krabi. spend 4 nights on railay beach includes Christmas day. then get to phiphi island and spend 4 nights there. then flight back to Bangkok for another 2 nights!

Please if anyone can give me advice on taxis, boats or anything it would b massively appreciated. thanks. dave!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Just go, you will meet plenty of people and have a great time. Phi Phi has plenty of parties on the beach, you'll have a ball.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Hi

If the hotel and flights are booked I would go ahead with it. Thailand can be expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. Eating out is so cheap unless you go to up market places.

You will meet people along the way like yourself many travel alone. Please keep in mind strangers is strangers no matters what colors or nationality. The thief come from all sizes, sexes especially in Khao dam raod. Some claims to be just arrive visitor like you but in fact they been there for a very long time. I don't mean to scares you but knowing from here can prevent headache later.

Go for it !!!

Cannock, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Thanks. good bit of advice. I have had a read around and it seems a lot do travel alone. Even girls which is very brave!! Ive just never done this and a little nervous! I always meet people wherever I go so I know there is no problem there. I just don't have a clue what im doing. Like when I get there what do I do about getting taxis to hotels I don't wanna get ripped off .I am gutted that every taxi and boat ride will cost me double now im alone. and where to go when im there but I suppose I just go in a bar and hope to meet people. . And I really really cant afford it much spending money. But oh well, u only live once!! bit of debt never hurt anyone! :-/

cheers

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

David, if you haven't already done so, read through past posts and you will find lots of discussion regarding solo travel. Try a search using words like "solo" and "alone" and you'll gets heaps of info. The more you research, the more confident you will be about the trip. I have been in Thailand for the last 4 Decembers and I promise you that you'll have a great time!

Trisha

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

Go! GO! GGGOOOOO!!

Travelling alone is a great life experience. Starting the trip in Kho San Road, Bangkok is backpacker central so you will meet tons of like minded people. Be sociable to fellow treavellers. Won't be long until you meet people to go on tours with.

Buy a Lonely Planet guide to learn the basics. Travelling alone you will need to keep your wits about you to the various scams, but it's common sense once you are aware of them. All are covered in the book.

If you are still in two minds, hire 'The Beach' from the video shop. Better still, read the book!

You will have a life changing adventure, not just a holiday.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 16:11
Cannock, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

thanks everyone. Haha I bought the beach as soon as I booked the holiday! And ive also got the lonely planet AND rough guide books. so ill make sure I have a good read of them and just go for it!! :-)

thanks again!

7. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 15:27
8. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

9. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr

10. Re: PLEASE HELP! First time travelling alone christmas n new yr