We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Melbourne
13 posts
Save Topic
Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Hi all - wondering if Lamai beach is a surf beach - just checking out some photos and it like it could be? and in comparison with Chewang beach?

Also in terms of the 2 townships which is nicer - I have only seen photos of Chewang which were a bit scary - reminded me of Saigon??

Also any great recommendations for resorts in Lamai - boutique style, with rooms on the beach - nice and quiet? (oh and a swim up bar!!)

Thanks all

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Didn't think there was any surf on Samui unless it's monsoon season and then it's just dangerous due to all the stuff floating in the water. Parts of Chaweng are full on, South Chaweng is slightly more laid back and quieter with a nice beach. Lamai is quite relaxed compared to Chaweng, does have some girly bars and the beach is more open and exposed.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Hi

Good spot for surfing and body boarding is at top end of south Chaweng and Chaweng noi beach. Just out the front of ( beach side) of first bungalow you can hire the boards for there.

If you want nice and quiet good beach then south chaweng (lively but not loud 0-25 mins to central for party if required ) Chaweng Noi ( my favorite beach great, small beach few places to eat and drinks) Meanam ( the oceans slope down quickly good for swims) and cheongmon beach ( white soft sand not much happening after 9pm but most of the restaurants in main road still open).

For accoms as you didn't indicates your budget please have a look here www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohsamui

Make shirt listed and the members will help you narrow it down.

Cheers,

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

"Good spot for surfing and body boarding is at top end of south Chaweng and Chaweng noi beach." is that only in monsoon season Pea or all year round?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Sorry I should be more specific. Unfortunately they are good only when is in rainy season. The rest of the year you can still do some body boarding but don't expect anything like we have here in Australia. Maybe try kite surfing instead. There's a company somewhere in Lamai does that.

Kmisurac ..When are you going to koh Samui ?

Edited: 14 November 2013, 01:49
Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Heading to koh samui may 12th 2014 perhaps my last post was a little confusing - we actually DO NOT want surf - looking for nicest beach similar to phi phi island as we stayed there this year and the beach was picture post card calm, clear to your feet and warm - so wondering if lamai beach is like that or by the sounds of things perhaps south Chaweng beach is more like it - looking for suggestions- many thanks all

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

Oh in that case south chaweng definitely. Chaweng noi also pictures perfect but very quieter and there are only a hand full of restaurants and bars.

My post # "loud 0-25 mins to central for party if required )" should have read " 20-25 mins "

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

have a look at Choeng Mon beach also. Gorgeous white sandy beach with clear water. A lot nicer than Lamai in my opinion. There is a range of accommodation depending on budget and plenty of places to eat. if you want markets for shopping or nightlife/bars you will need to catch a cab or songtheow to chaweng or Bophut.

If you want to be closer to the action, then South Chaweng or Chaweng Noi is a good choice.

8. Re: Lamai Beach - Surf or Not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:19