We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Hi so I am thinking about traveling around South East Asia next year. Not sure when I am going but I wanted to see how long I would need anyway. I'd probably either stay April to May or November to January depending. I'm flexible on dates but would rather go in the lower seasons (not overly rainy though). This is my iteniary at the moment. I have been to Singapore before so I will just go back and go to the places I enjoyed the most. I might be travelling with someone that hasn't been to Asia at all so just keep that in mind. I like the culture and experiences when travelling; shopping is important too. I'm more of a market shopper; hence why there is so much focus on Thailand this trip. Next trip I was planning to go to Indonesia, Vietnam, Brunei and Loas. But for this trip it will be Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore.

This is not in order. Which order do you think I should do it in? I am traveling from Australia btw.

This is my itinerary:

Thailand

- Chiang Mai (Loy Krathong Festival) (Tiger kingdom at Mae Rim; elephant trek) (7 nights)

- Ayutthaya (2 nights)

- Hua Hin (2 nights)

- Chiang Rai (2 nights)

- Krabi (3 nights)

- Koh Phi Phi (3 nights)

- Bangkok (10 nights)

Day Trips if possible from places above:

- Koh Lanta (sea gypsies) (day trip if possible)

- Koh Mook (Morakot cave) (day trip if possible)

- Koh Tao (Diving) (day trip if possible)

29 nights in Thailand.

Cambodia

- Siem Reap (2 nights)

- Angkor Wat (3 nights)

- Phnom Penh (day trip)

- The Killing Fields, S21 Prison and Russian Markets (day trip)

- Battambang (day trip)

7 nights in Cambodia.

Singapore

- Singapore Zoo

- Night Safari

- Signapore Cooking Class

- River Cruise

- Raffles

- Shopping

- Chinatown/Orchard Road

4 nights in Singapore.

Malaysia

Borneo (sabah and Sarawak) (3 nights)

Climb Mt Kinabalu (2 nights)

Kuala Lumpur (2 nights)

7 nights in Malaysia.

47 nights in total; so around 6 weeks and 5 nights to visit 4 countries and have a fair bit of experiences while we are there. I was also thinking about $3000AUD each ($64AUD each day) would cover us for everything except flights. Probably flashpacking (not backpacking but not luxury) What do you think?

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

- Chiang Mai (Loy Krathong Festival) (Tiger kingdom at Mae Rim; elephant trek) (7 nights) - ok

- Ayutthaya (2 nights) - you can do this as a day trip from Bangkok

- Hua Hin (2 nights) - You could either do this as a side trip from Bangkok, otherwise it's going to be difficult to incorporate into your itinerary.

- Chiang Rai (2 nights) - ok

- Krabi (3 nights) - ok

- Koh Phi Phi (3 nights) - ok

- Bangkok (10 nights) - I'd probably cut back on Bangkok, ,maybe 5 nights and add it to somewhere else that is too rushed.

I'd start in Bangkok, then Chiang Rai, then Chiang Mai and then fly directly to Phuket for Phi Phi

Day Trips if possible from places above:

- Koh Lanta (sea gypsies) (day trip if possible) - I believe this is in Phang Nga Bay, so you can do this from Krabi

- Koh Mook (Morakot cave) (day trip if possible) - pretty sure you would need to spend a couple of nights on Koh Mook

- Koh Tao (Diving) (day trip if possible) - Koh Tao is on the east coast of Thailand, nowhere near the rest of your trip which is on the west coast and if diving you would need to spend at least a night or two there. However, plenty of diving to be done on the west coast.

29 nights in Thailand.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,758 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Things are likely to be a bit cheaper April - May time. November to January is mega expensive!

All that time, and the HUGE area of Sabah and Sarawak only gets 3 days? That is impossible, so you are just going Kota Kinabalu area.

AU$64 is a pretty low daily budget if you plan to include everything (accommodation, food, incidentals?)

Personally I would cut the locations, spend a day more or two in each and enjoy the experience more, then you can go back or move on. I would be tempted to drop Malaysia and Singapore this trip!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

I agree that dropping Malaysia and Singapore is a good way to go as Thailand itself deserves so much more time as does the other places TM mentions. No point in rushing through such amazing places just to tick them off your list.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

- Bangkok. Agree with Cassnu

- Ayutthaya is well worth a couple of nights. It's very underrated.

- Hua Hin. Give it a miss and have a couple of nights west of Bangkok in Kanchanaburi.

- Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are basically the same place, so you easily knock a night off.

- A day trip to Phnom Penh from Siem Reap? You'll struggle to do that as it's 6 hours by bus, and there's not much point. Phnom Penh deserves 3 nights.

- Battambang - a day trip from where? It deserves 3 or 4 nights.

You're going to have to spend too much time on the road or hanging around airports imo. Slow down and enjoy the places you're spending a lot of money to see.

Don't travel by road overnight.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Agree about Kanchanaburi too. If you do 4 nights in Bangkok then do 2 nights to Ayutthaya, 2 nights to Kanchanaburi and 3 nights to Hua Hin. Back to Bangkok for flight to Chiang Rai, then on to Chiang Mai and fly directly to Krabi for the southern part of the trip.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

For your Cambodia leg I would stay 3 nights Phnom Penh and 4 nights Siem Reap. It is to far for a day trip to PP from SR and there is plenty to see and do there with a 3 night stay. Angkor Wat is in Siem Reap so 4 nights there will give you a good taste of the main Temples plus a few other things to see and do. So there are your 7 nights in Cambodia, skip the day in Battambang unless you can take a few days away from another place.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Ok, i've been to Singapore and Malaysia. Singapore is boring and clinical. Malaysia is like a more orderly Thailand, but Thailand is more fun.

I've done Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam (Saigon-Hanoi)-Return with Air Asia to Bangkok. I would say the best time to go would be Late Febuary, give enough time to see each in their prime. I think these countries are the best in terms of costs and things to do.

I would get a lp southeast travel guide, and travel each country in that order, from North Thailand the slow boat into LAOS, From South Laos into Cambodia, from Cambodia into Saigon-Hanoi, return Bkk. See the sights of each countrty, and get your Lao VISA IN bkk. The rest you get in the country before the next.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 09:39
jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Update. Sorry i thought you were going for like 2-3 months, i see it's 6 weeks. Maybe just do Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia then, or even drop Laos, 6 weeks is very little time.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 09:56
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Your budget is also too low, the more you move around the more you will spend. $64 a day won't cover flashpacking digs, food, drinks, heaps of transport, day trips, shopping etc. you might need to rethink budget and cut back on same tours and travel.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling in Thailand and around South East Asia?

Thailand is the most expensive place, Cambodia the cheapest. Experienced travellers would not linger in Thailand anymore. Could just head into Cambodia, chill in Sihanoukville, do South Vietnam highlights, and return to BKK well in budget, and maybe hitb the South Islands b4 heading home- and have an awesome time.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 10:24