We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

Brighton, England...
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

Hi,

i appreciate this is a very "woolly" question but any help would be appreciated.

My self and partner are looking to go to Thailand next December for 4 weeks.

I need to know a rough idea on how much more expensive it is going to be there for xmas and new year as apposed to going perhaps there for the whole of Jan or Feb. is it likely to be double the cost?

I am estimating it is going to be around the £6000 mark or is that not enough?

I appreciate it all depends on what we do etc but i need to book the time off work by next week!!

In a nutshell we would want to spend sometime in Chiang Mai and relaxing on beach at the end. We want to see some of Thailand but not that much that we are constantly travelling and only spending a night or two here and there. As long as we see some temples, tigers, elephants, jungle and do some snorkelling we will be happy.

Many thanks

Nicky

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,518 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

The cost of flights is usually higher from 1st December but howycj higher than Jan/Feb depends on dates of leaving and returning pre and post Cmsd period. Peak Season for accommodation is from about 15th December to 6th January when prices are at the highest. Many hotels also include compulsory supplements for Xmas and New Year's Eve Gala Dinners whether you actually have them or not so take that into account when looking at hotels. Other than those higher costs, other costs like food, drink, tours etc. remain the same.

The cost of your holiday will depend on which parts of Thailand you want to visit, for how long and what standard of accommodation you want. Better to draw up a draft itinerary and then go to each individual forum and ask about accomodation quoting your standard and budget per night. Skyscanner.net is a good site to find flight prices but always better to book direct with the airline than through a 3rd party. Sites or companies like Trailfinders or NetFlights.com will it a flight + hotel package together for you. If Xmas/New Year is not a priority then Jan/Feb will be cheaper.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

Being in the tropics, the peak travel/tourist season for Thailand is the winter months. Thats when they expect a large influx of tourist from Europe, NA etc, basically from places that are cold.

The peak season is from Dec to March. The peak season i also includes the SUPER Peak which is Dec23-1st week of January. That is when most people have a holiday break. Expect the airlines and hotels to charge a premium for those days.

Brighton, England...
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

Hi,

thanks you. We are going to pop in to trailfinders tomorrow to get a rough costing :o)

4. Re: Difference in cost Dec to Jan/Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:19