We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Thailand

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Thailand

Hi

I am going to Thailand for my first visit in march. I want to combine beaches and sightseeing and would like to include chiang Mai, Bangkok, ko Sami, Phuket, krabi, ko phi phi, ko pha ngan, ko Lanta, phang nga...

Any idea how I can do this, where is best to start, how long do I need in these places, where should I spend more time?

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Jo

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Thailand

Hi

How much time do you have? If you have month you can probably see all these mentioned. For a start you have to realized some of locations are on opposite side from each other.

Phuket, krabi ( koh phi phi, koh Lanta ) Phang Nga are in the west coast. Koh samui, koh phangan are in the east coast.

From Bangkok you can fly to Chaingmai, bus or train. From Chingmai fkynfrom direct to Phuket - from Phuket ferry to koh phi phi - ferry from phi phi to Lanta - ferry from Lanta to mainland krabi - from krabi fly direct to koh Samui with Bangkok airways or bus and ferry to koh Samui - from koh Samui ferry to koh phangan - ferry from koh phagnan back to koh Samui fly to Bangkok or ferry from koh phangan to mainland Surat Thani with either bus or train or fly from mainland with either air Asia or Nok airs.

This is how you do it if you want to see all. Or you van revise that.

Cheers,

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Thailand

sweetpea---you missed Phang Nga on your tour, just saying LOL.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Thailand

Thanks ravenret :) you have good eyes lol.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Thailand

Thank you so much for your advice. I am only there 15 days! So I was thinking of doing 2 nights in each place... Or do you think I should loose some of the places and stay longer in other ones?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Thailand

15 days and with all that I'm sorry BIG NO. Don't for get you will lose at least 2 days of travel time so basically you only have 13 days to do and see.

Yes it is doable but you wouldn't be to see do and enjoy anything. Don't for get Chingmai is in northern of Thailand, Phuket is in the south even if you fly from Chiangmai to Phuket direct is still lose 4 hours or more that's included travel time to and from the airport. From Phuket to koh phi phi by ferry will take you 2 hours plus time from your hotel to the pier. From krabi to koh smaui if by bus and ferry will take at least 8 hours give or take by flight 55 mins plus to and from airport and wait to board the flight.

To be honest its too ambitions to see all. By all mean you can see all in. One trip but you will need at least 4 weeks for that to enjoy and worth your airfares.

If this were me I would just do Bangkok 3 nights Chiangmai 4 nights and one coast either east or west coast and fly back to Bangkok for your home bound. This ways you will enjoy more. Do two nights each you will Thais who been everywhere and haven't seen anything.

This is holiday not amazing race !

London
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Thailand

I agree with SweetPea. Thailand is all about being relaxed, having fun, and enjoying the moment. Not running around with a clipboard ticking off a checklist. Run around for the last 3 days shopping in Bangkok maybe, but chill everywhere else. Minimum 4 nights in each place. Come back next year for the others. The country isn't going anywhere.

What are your priorities? Shopping, culture, nightlife, diving, etc. Can you tolerate touristy places or are you looking to chill?

Edited: 06 December 2013, 21:55
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Thailand

Do two nights each you will Thais who been everywhere and haven't seen anything.

That should have read

"do two nights each and you will be those who been everywhere but haven't seen anything"

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Thailand

Definitely trying fit too much in. I'm going for 1 month and not even going to the phuket side of Thailand

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Thailand

Thanks so much for your reply. I was hoping to get a taster of as much as possible so I could go back and discover more in future years. Maybe I am trying to see too much in this one visit !

I would like to see historical sites and then shop in Bangkok and then relax and do some island hoping at the end. I was hoping to go to a beach party too as its my birthday on 23rd march, but I think the full moon party is the week before! Any other suggestions for a good place to party / beach party style? Many thanks again for your help

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Thailand

If this were for me. I'd do this route

Bangkok 3 nights do sight seeing the land mark of Bangkok the like of Grand place, Wat Arun ( temple of dawn), Wat Pho ( reclining Buddha )with side trip to Ayuthaya for the historic sites.

From Bangkok head to Chiangmai with those low cost the like of Nok airs or air Asia for 4 nights

From Chaingmai you fly direct to koh Samui with Bangkok airways.

or by Thai via Bangkok or by air Asia, Nok airs to Surat Thani ( mainland ) via Bangkok with ferry to koh Samui or by bus or trains via Bangkok with ferry to koh Samui.

Note ** both Nok airs and air Asia offers air+land+ferry to koh Samui.

If you miss out on fullmoon party there's always beach party at Ark bar on chaweng beach in koh Samui. You will meet many new friends to join you on your special day.