We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Thailand

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trains in Thailand

Hi Everyone:

I'll be traveling for two weeks in Thailand and was wondering about trains. We were planning on taking a train from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and then an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. How do we buy tickets? Where do we buy tickets? Will tickets be available? We're traveling Jan. 24 - Feb. 7.

Thank you!

Cheers,

JRM

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,918 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains in Thailand

Hi Jamesy M,

For the third class train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok just turn up at Thonburi station a few minutes before departure time since it isn't necessary to book in advance. However, for the night train to Chiang Mai you should book in advance. Scroll down to 'How to buy train tickets from outside Thailand' on the link below:

www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.UrCxP8vxtjp

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
86 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains in Thailand

I just got back from Thailand. Decided to fly to Chiang Mai instead of the train from BKK. It seems it's always several hours late getting to Chiang Mai, and there were recently several de-railments just outside Chiang Mai. Nothing serious. I wanted to do the same, but it sure takes a LOT of time. Maybe I'll try it in February. Good luck.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains in Thailand

There have been several derailments, but currently there is maintenance works going on to try and avoid this in the future (the works may have finished by now). Train is a fun way to travel to Chiang Mai, but most trains do arrive late into their destination, often by a couple of hours - for me it's still enjoyable though. You have to book 60 days in advance of your travel date especially as the CM route is a particularly popular one, 1st and 2nd class sleepers get booked out quickly. You may find tickets have already sold out, but you can try looking at Asia Discovery to buy tickets:

asia-discovery.com/booking/…book-train.htm

or

www.thailandtrainticket.com/ (can be slow in replying)

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains in Thailand

The repairs have bee completed. Train travel is Ok if you are prepared for a relaxing and laid back ride - i.e. slow.... buses are faster and more reliable, and flights are safer and of course faster.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,918 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains in Thailand

Hi again,

I would opt to fly to Chiang Mai and if you have the time take the train to Kanchanaburi and beyond to Nam Tok since the latter part of the rail journey is the most interesting.

Cathedral City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains in Thailand

Thank you everyone. This has been most helpful.

Cheers,

JRM

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,918 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains in Thailand

Enjoy your time travelling by rail !

8. Re: Trains in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 06:18