We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng

As part of my plans for the summer I'm planning on going from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng to Halong Bay.

First of all- what's the best way to travel from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng? Is it worth heading to Vang Vieng or is it overrated?

And secondly what's the best way to travel from Vang Vieng to Halong Bay?

I'd appreciate any comments! Many thanks!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng

First of all- my best way may not be your best way.

My best way would be to travel up to Chiang Rai and then after a day or two jump on the new bus that'll take me/us over the border into Laos.

From here I'd/we'd take the slow boat down the river to Luang Prabang.

After a few days it would be time to catch a bus down to Vang Vieng to spend several days (we love VV and no! I/we don't think it's overrated)

Second. There are buses that run from Vang Vieng to Hanoi but best for us... I don't think so!

Just looking at an old photo... there it is!

Vang Vieng to Hanoi.

Depart: 13:00

Arrive: 16:00

Sleeping Bus

290,000 Kip

Traveling by bus we would need a Visa prior to entering Vietnam.

We could have this issued in VV for around 57 US$.

BetsanM, my best and your best may differ immensely but, we're sure you'll have the holiday of a lifetime.

Have fun

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng

Great, many thanks for the helpful and detailed answer!

3. Re: Traveling from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:17