We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

Hey everyone, my wife and I are returning to Thailand in about 1 year. We are already super excited, absolutely love Thailand. We know Bangkok and Chiang Mai, love them both, so we know we can do those on our own. But we are trying to see a few other areas that we have not seen but we are not sure exactly where, the list below is from a tour I found but its just an ideal. We know we want to see Ayuthhaya, because we've been to Angkor Wat and loved it.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on what our schedule looks like, if we are missing anywhere, if we need to add more/less time etc.

A bit about ourselves as travelers, we do like to keep moving and don't sit very long in one place (3 days is the max we usually stay in a city). Beaches are not really our thing, but we do like water/boats. We have already been to Puket/Ko phi phi etc, not interested in returning. We eat well, and often, no meat/chicken but we do eat fish (we may eat meat on Southeast Asia). No museums, no war stuff, no shopping, but we love markets. Nature is great, so are cities, we love both almost equally. Hope I don't sound too picky, we are generally up for most things. I can squeeze more days out of the trip if needed.

1 - Land In Bangkok

2 - Bangkok

3 - Bangkok

4 - Hit the road north: AYUTTHAYA - LOPBURI - PHITSANULOK ???

5 - PHITSANULOK - SUKHOTHAI- LAMPANG ???

6 - LAMPANG - LAMPHUN - CHIANG MAI

7 - Chiang Mai

8 - Chiang Mai

9 - Chiang Mai

10 - Chiang RAI

11 - Fly to Bangkok

13 - Fly home early AM

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
86 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

I just stayed four nights in Chiang Mai at the "M Hotel" in the old fort, right at one of the entrances. I wish I had only stayed 3 nights and spent more time in Chiang Rai. It's much smaller, quieter, and more like "chiang mai used to be". Also, done a Hill Tribe expedition from Chiang Rai. I thought Chiang Mai was crowded, noisy, and more like "Bangkok" than I remember. Maybe stay flexible, and consider less days if you get bored with CM, and move on up to CR. I think you'll be most happy either way.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

If you liked Angkor Wat, skip Ayutthaya and go direct to Sukhothai. Ayutthaya is enveloped by a busy noisy city, whereas Sukhothai is a peaceful park out in the countryside. There are a number of inns and hotels in the small village outside the historical park, so you can relax for a couple of nights, cycle or walk around the ruins, enjoy street food from the night market.

Enroute from BKK to Sukhothai you could explore the old Samchuk Market and ruins at Kamphaeng Phet.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

^ thanks for the advice!

CANADA
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

not sure if you have considered to visit the Karen long neck tribe from Chang Mai. We have been there and found it extremely touching..

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

1 - Land In Bangkok

2 - Bangkok

3 - Bangkok

4 - Hit the road north: AYUTTHAYA - LOPBURI - PHITSANULOK ???

5 - PHITSANULOK - SUKHOTHAI- LAMPANG ??? - Go straight to Sukothai

6 - LAMPANG - LAMPHUN - CHIANG MAI - you can do day trips from Chiang Mai to Lampang and Lamphun

7 - Chiang Mai

8 - Chiang Mai

9 - Chiang Mai

10 - Chiang RAI - maybe an extra day here.

11 - Fly to Bangkok

13 - Fly home early AM

6. Re: Jan 2015: Bangkok to Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2015, 05:15