We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Hi guys, have made a bloody error on my part. Have booked a flight back into thailand on the 15th of Jan stupidly expecting the 30 day visa exemption to run until my flight home on the 15th feb. WRONG.

turns out this was 32 days! Nightmare, such a silly error on my part. We are going to be island hopping in the south of Thailand, so what options do I have to get the 2 days extra on my visa? Thanks alot!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Well you most likely won't be able to board the plane now because you dont have a proper visa or proof of onward travel.

If you can get the visa then that will workor buy a cheap ticket on Air Asia prior to 30days as your proof of onward travel. :)

Edited: 09 January 2014, 14:02
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

1) Try to get a tourist visa from wherever you are now.

2) Do a border run to get a fresh 30 visa exempt entry.

3) Take your chances, overstay and pay the fine when leaving. Risk here is if you get caught by the police on overstay you will be detained.

Britmaveric is correct in saying that you may not be able to board your flight to Thailand without a visa or ticket out within 30 days.

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Sorry? I dont quite understand the bit about proof of onward travel? When we first flew into thailand we didnt present any proof of onward travel and it didnt cause a problem?

We were thinking about doing a border run in south thailand? Is this not possible?

thanks for your reply!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Dan W, the problem is you might be refused boarding on the flight from UK to Thailand as you have no exit ticket within the 30 days. If you buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days that you can show them this will solve all you problems. You will be allowed to board and when you use the ticket you will get another 30 days on return to Thailand.

Otherwise apply now for a 60 day tourist visa.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 14:29
Canterbury...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

Not wanting to take any chances, I took the £30 hit and put back the air asia flight 3 days, hell, I like KL alot anyway, so its a blessing in disguise! May even have an extra couple of days in melaka. Cheers guys.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,817 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

When you give your ticket and passport to the check-in agent, he or she checks to see if you meet all the criteria for international travel. In the case of Thailand, they need to see either a visa or proof of onward travel within the 30-day exemption. Sometimes, airlines are lenient and give you the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes they go by the book and refuse to let you board. It could be down to check-in agent having a bad day or a fight with his or her boyfriend the night before.

So: you either need a visa or a flight ticket somewhere outside of Thailand.

7. Re: Overstay Thai visa by 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18