We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand February 2014

B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
305 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand February 2014

So I bought my plane tickets already and am coming to Thailand despite the political unrest and violence in Bangkok. I am thinking that the situation will become worse with the upcoming elections and growing tensions. But, I will not cancel my trip, since it seems the problems are isolated in Bangkok.

I will be in Thailand for 19 full days. Originally Bangkok was part of the plan spending 5 of the days there. I arrive in Bangkok close to midnight so I was going to sleep by BKK then head off. Originally the plan was to hangout in Bangkok, but now I am thinkng I may head south to Koh Chang. Any other suggestions or alternatives to Bangkok? Places that are must sees? Or are there safe places that I should go visit, since I am already there? The original plan was Bangkok 3 days->Chiang Mai 5 days->Chiang Rai 2 days->Krabi for 6 days ->Bangkok->3 days.

I am a single female traveler.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand February 2014

Hi

I wouldn't cancel Bangkok altogether. I know there are things happening in Bangkok right now but it is avoidable IMHO. However if you are uncomfortable then koh Chang is a vey good choice to fill in a spot. Koh Chang its vey easy to access form Bangkok you can do by land and ferry or by air and ferry.

Good luck

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand February 2014

I would keep the Bangkok part of your holiday flexible if you can, it would be such a shame to miss it. You could head out to places like Kanchanaburi and Hua Hin which are still close to Bangkok (only a couple of hours car ride away).

B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
305 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand February 2014

I know... I am pretty sad that Bangkok is kind of if-y for me at the moment, especially since this is my first trip to Thailand from the US and who knows exactly when I will return. I was already planning to do a trip to Ayutthaya which I know is an easy day trip from Bangkok. Any other suggestions for Bangkok in the safer areas... what would be a shame to miss? Or in the surround areas? I know I also wanted to visit a floating market which would most likely be a weekday one.

So if I have the following:

Koh Chang 4 days->Chiang Mai 5 days->Chiang Rai 2 days->Krabi for 4 days ->Bangkok->4 days.

Does that seem rush? Do you think I need to change/rethink the time spent on any of the places? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance and your help is much appreciated!!!

Edited: 19 January 2014, 23:31
B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
305 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand February 2014

Sorry another question regarding beaches. What do you guys think of Krabi/Koh Phi Phi and my proposed length of stay? I have read that it is touristy but do you think it is worth the visit? Pictures of the area look amazing. I decided to go here instead of Phuket, since I hear a lot more negative about Phuket.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand February 2014

Now seeing you already have beach in Karbi ( you made the right choice ) i wouldn't go to koh Chang. I would utilize that time in kanchanaburi instead. The floating market are on the same reroute to kanchanburi.

Alternatively from Bangkok make your way to Ayuthaya by train / bus stay for a night or two from there make your ways to Sukhothai via Pitsanulok by train and from Sukhothai back to Pitsanulok by train up to chiangamai.

I think the best area to stay in Bangkok at this stage is riverside. Riverside are closer to all the main attractions via taxi boat.

Cheers,

B L
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
305 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand February 2014

Again, thanks for all the help and input. *Really appreciated. * I am almost done with my 3 week itinerary.

So I bought one of my airfares already from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I will be there for 7 nights which will possibly include 2 of those days in Chiang Rai. I have yet to buy my ticket from Bangkok to Krabi (couldn't go directly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. I tried NoAir and AirAsia. I can do it using Thai Airlines but the prices for the ticket were double). Is four full days enough for Krabi which also includes a side trip to Koh Phi Phi or should I spend another day there (so 5 days) and only have 3 full days for BKK? Or should I really save that extra day for BKK thus making it 4 days there? I want to buy my ticket from BKK to Krabi and back which isn't refundable but changeable (for an outrageous fee), so need help deciding fast.

So I have the following:

Get into Bangkok on the 9th (pretty much the 10th). Stay around airport. Thinking I still may want to go to Koh Chang at the beginning but not set in stone. It all depends on the political situation, tentative upcoming elections, and possible Bangkok state of emergency as is now being reported in the news.

13 Get back to Bangkok in the afternoon/night from where ever I hung out the few days before .

14 Early morning flight to and from (9AM flight) Chaing Mai

21 Early morning flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Then from Bangkok to Krabi. Get into Krabi around 1pm.

25 Early flight out of Krabi back to BKK coming in around 10AM. Hoping BKK will be safer to explore by then.

26 BKK or day trip

27 BKK or day trip

28 BKK or day trip

I am hoping BKK will be much better/safer towards the end of my trip and I am assuming I may not be hanging out in BKK when I first arrive.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:41
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand February 2014

Don't cancel Bangkok its a big big city and if you stay in the Riverside area as Sweetpea suggests you will be well away from the traffic and any potential problems from the demonstrations. But who can say or predict what will happen next in Bangkok after the general elections.

Would certainly visit Koh Chang my favourite island visited in Thailand and the climate February should be perfect

8. Re: Thailand February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19